WWE 2K14's roster of wrestlers will include Darren Young, who recently became the first active WWE performer to come out as gay, publisher 2K Sports announced today.
"We'd like to congratulate [Darren Young] on his brave personal announcement and welcome him to the WWE 2K14 roster," said the publisher in a tweet from the WWE 2K account. It will be his first appearance in a WWE video game.
Young, 29, whose real name is Fredrick Rosser, came out in an interview with TMZ on Thursday. Asked whether a gay wrestler could succeed in the WWE, Young replied, "Absolutely. Look at me, you know? I'm a WWE superstar and to be honest with you, I'll tell you right now, I'm gay. And I'm happy, very happy."
The WWE released a statement yesterday in support of Young's decision to come out, saying, "WWE is proud of Darren Young for being open about his sexuality, and we will continue to support him as a WWE superstar." The organization also collected tweets of support from more than a dozen WWE wrestlers, officials and personalities in an article on its website.
Former WWE wrestlers including Chris Kanyon, who was gay, and Orlando Jordan, who is bisexual, have discussed their sexuality after their WWE careers have ended, but Young is the first to come out while employed by the company.
- Basement Crawl review: cutting room
- The final years of Irrational Games, according to those who were there
- When a successful game is a failure
- Jack Tretton steps down as CEO of Sony Computer Entertainment America
- JoJo's Bizarre Adventure launches in America April 29
- Darkseid exclusively joins Injustice: Gods Among Us app
- Why Watch Dogs went into hiding
- Goofball Goals - Overview video
- Watch Dogs for Wii U still in development, 2014 release possible
- Inafune shows off side-scrolling action game Azure Striker Gunvolt
- Owen Good, joining Polygon as senior reporter, weekends
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 5: The where I yet again break the rules
- Contest: Want to go to the Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls launch party on March 24?
- More Pokémon Discussions: Redux
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: 100% Complete (Thu 6 Mar)
- How to make "South Park:Stick of Truth" more like Final Fantasy
- When Gameplay coincides with the story
- Dracul: Now not a Dick
- Post your Polygon Daily/Weekender headers here (March 2014)
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: Batman Returns (Wed 5 Mar)