WWE 2K14's roster of wrestlers will include Darren Young, who recently became the first active WWE performer to come out as gay, publisher 2K Sports announced today.
"We'd like to congratulate [Darren Young] on his brave personal announcement and welcome him to the WWE 2K14 roster," said the publisher in a tweet from the WWE 2K account. It will be his first appearance in a WWE video game.
Young, 29, whose real name is Fredrick Rosser, came out in an interview with TMZ on Thursday. Asked whether a gay wrestler could succeed in the WWE, Young replied, "Absolutely. Look at me, you know? I'm a WWE superstar and to be honest with you, I'll tell you right now, I'm gay. And I'm happy, very happy."
The WWE released a statement yesterday in support of Young's decision to come out, saying, "WWE is proud of Darren Young for being open about his sexuality, and we will continue to support him as a WWE superstar." The organization also collected tweets of support from more than a dozen WWE wrestlers, officials and personalities in an article on its website.
Former WWE wrestlers including Chris Kanyon, who was gay, and Orlando Jordan, who is bisexual, have discussed their sexuality after their WWE careers have ended, but Young is the first to come out while employed by the company.
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: M! (Wed 16 Apr)
- Darkest Polygon: Lets start a Polygon Dark Souls 2 covenant
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 8: GOLDEN CRISIS
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Post your Polygon Daily/Weekender headers here (April 2014)
- Controller Design Competition
- What characters would you guys like to see on the new Super Smash Bros?
- Scrolling front page - can't access bottom banner
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol.2, No.7: Warai, Warai!
- Any clues to why it is called Second Son?