WWE 2K14's roster of wrestlers will include Darren Young, who recently became the first active WWE performer to come out as gay, publisher 2K Sports announced today.
"We'd like to congratulate [Darren Young] on his brave personal announcement and welcome him to the WWE 2K14 roster," said the publisher in a tweet from the WWE 2K account. It will be his first appearance in a WWE video game.
Young, 29, whose real name is Fredrick Rosser, came out in an interview with TMZ on Thursday. Asked whether a gay wrestler could succeed in the WWE, Young replied, "Absolutely. Look at me, you know? I'm a WWE superstar and to be honest with you, I'll tell you right now, I'm gay. And I'm happy, very happy."
The WWE released a statement yesterday in support of Young's decision to come out, saying, "WWE is proud of Darren Young for being open about his sexuality, and we will continue to support him as a WWE superstar." The organization also collected tweets of support from more than a dozen WWE wrestlers, officials and personalities in an article on its website.
Former WWE wrestlers including Chris Kanyon, who was gay, and Orlando Jordan, who is bisexual, have discussed their sexuality after their WWE careers have ended, but Young is the first to come out while employed by the company.
- Polygon Daily Open Thread: Personable - Mon Sep 1
- Woady Reviews Anime: Whisper of the Heart
- Pokémon Discussions: Summer into Fall
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17.1 - Woady call me kōhai!
- Editorial idea for Polygon
- Weekend at Polygon's: Open Thread - Aug 30-31
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Reconsidering Columbine
- What Have You Been Reading? (September 2014)
- What is your Current Game of the Year?