0x10c, Markus "Notch" Persson's sandbox sci-fi game was put on hold indefinitely last week, but the game's community is looking to create their own project, US Gamer reports.
Persson broke the news during a Team Fortress 2 livestream, saying that he had no future aspirations for 0x10c, but would instead continue working on smaller titles. The community has since picked up the reins on a title inspired by the ill-fated game. Project lead and head writer Shane Dalton told US Gamer that the community "didn't really look into why [Persson] put it on hold."
"We just sort of looked at the project and were like, 'Okay. This is a community project now,'" Dalton said.
The community will not use Persson's code, story or even the game's title; instead, it's called "Project Trillek." Those working on the game have broken into a team of several departments, each acting under a leader. Dalton added that the team has no plans for monetizing the game, aside from asking for donations for server costs.
It's not unheard of for a community to band together to create a spiritual successor to a lost game. Missing Worlds, a volunteer-based studio, is currently working to build a new version of the canceled MMO City of Heroes.
0x10c was "put on ice" back in April. At the time, Persson told Polygon that he was feeling a "weird creative block," but that the game felt like it could be fun. We've contacted Persson for his thoughts on Project Trillek and will update accordingly.
- Robin Williams' Genie may be immortalized in World of Warcraft
- Development hell: The video game
- Sexual conquest and emotional connections in Dragon Age: Inquisition
- With Han Solo, Leia and Chewie, Star Wars Commander is bringing back the force
- Microsoft may be offering 24-hour demos of Xbox One games to Gold subscribers
- Pokégon Daily Open Thread - Thu Aug 21
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17 - Heart Containers
- What "Console Wars" taught me about myself and being a fanboy
- Games with great Sound Design
- Polynauts Fantasy Football League
- The Last of Us 2 for PS4?
- Feature to track games?
- Pokegon Daily Open Thread - Wed Aug 20
- Why isn't Polygon talking about the Quinn thing ?
- Share your treasured Pokémon stories with us