The next game from Journey, Flower and Flow creators thatgamecompany is still at least two years away, according to a New Yorker profile of creative director Jenova Chen, who offers new hints about his studio's currently unannounced project.
Chen describes the follow-up to Journey, which he calls a "risky" project bound for multiple platforms, as "the bastard child" of thatgamecompany's past games, touching on similar themes of "connection, nostalgia and self-reflection." According to The New Yorker's piece, Chen likened the goal for the game to impart that of a deeply held, emotionally resonant memory. Players will be able to experience the game solo or with others and, like Journey, will feature non-verbal communication.
Chen told Polygon earlier this year that he was shooting for something more financially successful with the successor to Journey — a project that bankrupted the developer — saying, "My resolution is to create a big financial success."
A quote from Chen about local multiplayer in The New Yorker sheds some light on those plans to appeal to a broader audience.
"A lot of people asked us why Journey didn't let them play with friends or family, and obviously we had a reason — because that would have defeated the purpose of the game," Chen said. "But for a game to be truly be accessible, to both children and adults and to men and women, it has to allow people to play with the ones they love."
- The second day of The International Dota 2 World Championships is complete - here are the results
- Skullgirls Encore headed to PS4 and Vita this year
- Action Henk - Overview video
- Here’s how to vote on what’s in the Collector’s Edition of Dead Island 2
- A talking raccoon and walking tree lead Marvel's film experiments into the weird side of comics
More from Polygon
- Humble 2K Bundle: Win one of ten in our caption contest
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 14: Beast War-Riors
- Evolution 2014: Fighting Games Tournament
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Thu July 10
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Stopping non article videos from auto playing.
- Polynauts World Cup Discussion
- Kinect 2.0 101 – Explaining Voice Commands
- Post your Weekend at Polygon/Daily headers here (July 2014)
- Anime Expo 2014