The cast of The King of Fighters series will get to battle it out MOBA-style in The King of Fighters Online, the Dragonfly-developed game that will go into beta — in Thailand — next month.
When The King of Fighters Online was unveiled a few years ago, the game looked more like an online beat 'em up with some role-playing game elements mixed in. It featured a familiar cast of fighters, including Kyo, Terry, Iori, Mai, Athena and Joe, among others. Now, seemingly based on the growing popularity of the genre, those characters will flex their fighting skills in MOBA action.
According to the Dragonfly website, The King of Fighters Online will feature "200 characters from the original game" and showcase each "character's spectacular skills and combo effects."
The King of Fighters MOBA is scheduled to kick off on Sept. 4 on Thai servers. Polygon has inquired with SNK Playmore about the possibility of KOF Online coming to other regions.
Developer Dragonfly is behind Age of Storm (aka Kingdom Under Fire Online) and Quake Wars Online, and has developed games based on other SNK Playmore franchises, including Samurai Showdown Online and Metal Slug Zero Online.
- Police investigating Comic-Con cosplay assault, photographer arrested
- The front lines: How a beta makes a game better
- PlayStation Now rentals cost $2.99 for four hours play, but everything could be changing
- Twitter can fix its harassment problem, but why mess with success?
- A video history of Crytek in two minutes