Electronic Arts will rotate between three main shooter franchises going forward — Battlefield, Titanfall and Battlefront — said Frank Gibeau, president of EA Labels, in an interview with CVG.
The publisher's old strategy was to alternate between the military first-person shooter series Battlefield and Medal of Honor so it would be able to compete with Activision's Call of Duty franchise every year. Battlefield: Bad Company 2 launched in March 2010, followed by Medal of Honor in October 2010, Battlefield 3 in October 2011 and Medal of Honor Warfighter in October 2012. But critics panned both Medal of Honor titles and the games failed to sell well, which led EA to say this past January that it was "taking Medal of Honor out of rotation" for the foreseeable future.
"The shooter rotation we think about now is Battlefield, Titanfall and Battlefront, and so we like those three brands going forward," Gibeau told CVG. "We're working out how we're going to line that up because that's what you'll see from us."
EA is releasing Battlefield 4 Oct. 29, one week ahead of Call of Duty: Ghosts this year. The publisher is set to launch Respawn Entertainment's Titanfall next spring. EA announced during its E3 2013 press briefing that Battlefield developer EA DICE is working on a new Star Wars: Battlefront title. An EA executive indicated in July that the game may be as far away as the summer of 2015, which is when the next Star Wars film will be released.
- Games for Change 2014: How gaming can change everything
- Skylanders Trap Team coming Oct. 5 with a new twist and a new portal
- Playing with privilege: the invisible benefits of gaming while male
- Minecraft may hit PS4 and PS Vita Q2/Q3 this year
- Is Watch Dogs doing anything original?
- Meiji era Ace Attorney announcement trailer teases main characters
- Puppeteer, PayDay 2 and more join PS Plus Europe free game collection April 30
- Documentary that explores queerness in games out now for pay what you want price
- The Dreamcast was the beginning, and the end, of the golden age of peripherals
- Botanicula ready for iPad on May 1
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: What? (Wed 23 April)
- NVIDIA GeForce Titan For Gaming?!
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 8: GOLDEN CRISIS
- Changing Posting Name
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Weekend at Polygon's: Party Time (19-20 April)
- Twitch Stream: Titanfall (One Match)
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: 2sday (Tue 22 April)
- Polygon Feast & Fitness Vol. 3
- Darkest Polygon: Lets start a Polygon Dark Souls 2 covenant