Electronic Arts will rotate between three main shooter franchises going forward — Battlefield, Titanfall and Battlefront — said Frank Gibeau, president of EA Labels, in an interview with CVG.
The publisher's old strategy was to alternate between the military first-person shooter series Battlefield and Medal of Honor so it would be able to compete with Activision's Call of Duty franchise every year. Battlefield: Bad Company 2 launched in March 2010, followed by Medal of Honor in October 2010, Battlefield 3 in October 2011 and Medal of Honor Warfighter in October 2012. But critics panned both Medal of Honor titles and the games failed to sell well, which led EA to say this past January that it was "taking Medal of Honor out of rotation" for the foreseeable future.
"The shooter rotation we think about now is Battlefield, Titanfall and Battlefront, and so we like those three brands going forward," Gibeau told CVG. "We're working out how we're going to line that up because that's what you'll see from us."
EA is releasing Battlefield 4 Oct. 29, one week ahead of Call of Duty: Ghosts this year. The publisher is set to launch Respawn Entertainment's Titanfall next spring. EA announced during its E3 2013 press briefing that Battlefield developer EA DICE is working on a new Star Wars: Battlefront title. An EA executive indicated in July that the game may be as far away as the summer of 2015, which is when the next Star Wars film will be released.
- TowerFall Ascension review: bowstring symphony
- The final years of Irrational Games, according to those who were there
- When a successful game is a failure
- Goat Simulator's Steam support is the 'most defining and important part'
- Why Watch Dogs went into hiding
- Report: Xbox Live could feature targeted political ads
- Marvel: Avengers Alliance adding Winter Soldier, Guardians of the Galaxy content
- Titanfall Arcade adds a Titan touch to retro Atari games
- Ouya may not be dead, but its long history of stumbles makes success unlikely
- Mugen Souls Z heading to North America May 20
- Getting a PS4
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 5: The where I yet again break the rules
- Polygon Off-Topic Weekender: We broke 1K! (8-9 March)
- PS4 Now or Wait Till Price Drop & Gaikai?
- More Pokémon Discussions: Redux
- The controller: will it get fixed?
- PD Users: Defined at Last! (Humour)
- WTB physical DS2 for PC in US
- Prepare for Titanfall (Xbox One)
- I feel PC is a better investment than a console