Electronic Arts will rotate between three main shooter franchises going forward — Battlefield, Titanfall and Battlefront — said Frank Gibeau, president of EA Labels, in an interview with CVG.
The publisher's old strategy was to alternate between the military first-person shooter series Battlefield and Medal of Honor so it would be able to compete with Activision's Call of Duty franchise every year. Battlefield: Bad Company 2 launched in March 2010, followed by Medal of Honor in October 2010, Battlefield 3 in October 2011 and Medal of Honor Warfighter in October 2012. But critics panned both Medal of Honor titles and the games failed to sell well, which led EA to say this past January that it was "taking Medal of Honor out of rotation" for the foreseeable future.
"The shooter rotation we think about now is Battlefield, Titanfall and Battlefront, and so we like those three brands going forward," Gibeau told CVG. "We're working out how we're going to line that up because that's what you'll see from us."
EA is releasing Battlefield 4 Oct. 29, one week ahead of Call of Duty: Ghosts this year. The publisher is set to launch Respawn Entertainment's Titanfall next spring. EA announced during its E3 2013 press briefing that Battlefield developer EA DICE is working on a new Star Wars: Battlefront title. An EA executive indicated in July that the game may be as far away as the summer of 2015, which is when the next Star Wars film will be released.
- How Diablo 3: Ultimate Evil Edition tricked us into playing Diablo 3 again
- Robin Williams' Genie may be immortalized in World of Warcraft
- Development hell: The video game
- Sexual conquest and emotional connections in Dragon Age: Inquisition
- Buy side-scroller Azure Striker Gunvolt on 3DS, get 8-bit throwback Mighty Gunvolt free
- Which games company do developers most want to work for?
- Caped crusader goes kinda nuts in new Lego Batman 3 trailer
- Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare isn't coming to Wii U
- Mad Max developer working on 'surprises,' possibly Just Cause 3
- Want to save time and money? Stop buying games at launch
- Why isn't Polygon talking about the Quinn thing ?
- Pokegon Daily Open Thread - Wed Aug 20
- Share your treasured Pokémon stories with us
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17 - Heart Containers
- Polygon Video Player - What's the deal?
- Polynauts Fantasy Football League
- The Last of Us 2 for PS4?
- Metro Redux: Will It Be A Must Purchase?
- Could Nintendo go third party?
- Pokémon Discussions: Summer into Fall