Nintendo is releasing a new version of its Nintendo 3DS hardware that's playable only in 2D. It's called the Nintendo 2DS and will be available in North America on Oct. 12 for $129.99.
Nintendo 2DS plays the entire library of 3DS and DS games only in 2D, Nintendo announced, dropping the stereoscopic 3D of the currently available Nintendo 3DS. The new handheld features a "fixed, slate-type form factor" — instead of a clam shell-style design — but retains the hardware features of the standard 3DS, including its dual screens and touch screen.
In North America, Nintendo 2DS will be available in two color schemes, red/black and blue/black. In Europe, the 2DS will be available in red/white and blue/black options.
Players will be able to get their hands on the system this October, when Nintendo brings the system on tour to Simon Malls in North America.
In This StoryStream
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Fri July 25
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.2: Silent Crusaders
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.1: Silent Crusaders
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Women in Games: A Reaction
- DESTINY disappointment?
- What's your favorite silly game?
- Why you don't like this headline: Here's how a change in style guide might just be the most clicked click thing you've clicked today
- A New Steam Controller