The music for Rockstar Games' upcoming open-world game, Grand Theft Auto 5, will feature 15 radio stations, two talk radio stations, 240 licensed tracks and "somewhere in the proximity of 20 movies worth of score," Rockstar's soundtrack supervisor, Ivan Pavlovich told Rolling Stone.
"It's the largest soundtrack that we've done, and the largest score that we've done." Pavlovich told Rolling Stone. "For this game, which is set in our version of modern day Los Angeles, what was important for us was to capture that feeling of L.A. and California. We approached the radio stations as the musical soundscape [you experience] as you fly into L.A."
Pavlovich went to say that the introduction of a pop station is a Grand Theft Auto game first, that its inclusion "made so much sense in the context of L.A."
Three composers worked on the game's score, with each composer "used to define a character or an environment." Rockstar brought on Tangerine Dream first, who was later joined by musician Woody Jackson (Red Dead Redemption, L.A. Noire), along with Alchemist and Oh No. The fully collaborative score is another first for Rockstar, according to Pavlovich, saying that elements from the other composers will be heard throughout musicians respective compositions.
Grand Theft Auto 5's leaked soundtrack cropped up last week as consumers who pre-ordered the downloadable version of the game through Sony and Microsoft's online stores were able to download the game files ahead of the game's launch.
Earlier this week, The Verge created a playlist from the allegedly leaked soundtrack compiled from track listings posted on Reddit andGTAForums.com. The playlist includes tracks from artists such as Elton John, Ice Cube, 2Pac, Queen, Britney Spears, Muse and more.
Grand Theft Auto 5 is set to launch on Sept. 17 for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 .
- Win a trip to California and one-day design apprenticeship on Sunset Overdrive!
- GTA 4 now looks as good as GTA 5 — if you have a PC
- Notorious Airbnb squatter may be the dev behind two flailing Kickstarter games
- It takes 40 minutes to drive across country in The Crew, watch it happen right here
- EVE's new executive producer has a plan to attract new players with the help of old ones
More from Polygon
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Fri July 25
- A New Steam Controller
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.1: Silent Crusaders
- DESTINY disappointment?
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Thu July 24
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- Deals With Gold Weekly(?) Update
- What's your favorite silly game?