Since the launch of the Famicom in 1983, Nintendo has sold 268.97 million home consoles and 385.15 million handheld units, according to the company's most recent annual report.
The report also states the company has sold 2.195 billion software units for its console hardware and 1.907 billion for its handhelds to date.
These numbers include all SKUs for each of Nintendo's gaming hardware — the Nintendo Entertainment System, Super Nintendo Entertainment System, Nintendo 64, GameCube, Wii and Wii U and the handhelds Game Boy, Game Boy Advance, Nintendo DS and Nintendo 3DS. The reported software numbers also include downloadable games and games bundled with hardware.
Earlier this spring, Nintendo posted a $366 million operating loss for the fiscal year ending March 31, 2013. In a message accompanying the most recent financial report, president Satoru Iwata said he expected Nintendo to regain its footing by the end of this fiscal year.
"Nintendo posted an operating loss for the fiscal year ended March 31, 2013," reads Iwata's statement. "However, we strive to regain 'Nintendo-like' profits for the fiscal year ending March 31, 2014 by providing many people with fascinating games and services. We continue to make brand-new and unique proposals, and make efforts for the growth of the home entertainment industry with a mission that is to pleasantly surprise people and put smiles on the faces of everyone Nintendo touches."
Last week, Nintendo reported a return to positive results for the quarter ending June 30, 2013. However, the Wii U has continued to have poor sales worldwide and a "negative impact" on profits.
- The 'true' story of a Pokémon game that turns you into a murderer
- A guided tour of the 1 KB hard drive built inside Minecraft
- Microsoft hosting ID@Xbox open house before PAX kicks off
- Fez developer Polytron hacked in ongoing game developer harassment effort
- That bucket came from the moon: Yep, Destiny took the ice bucket challenge
- Weekend at Pokégon's: Open Thread - Aug 23-24
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17 - Heart Containers
- Anime You Might Not Have Tried/Heard of #9
- Let's See Your Photo Mode Snaps From The Last of Us!
- Pokegon Daily Open Thread: Double Sabre - Fri Aug 22
- Female representation in gaming
- 'Goodbye Polygon,' said Frushtick
- Pokémon Discussions: Summer into Fall
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- Polynauts Fantasy Football League