Former God of War game director Cory Barlog has returned to developer Sony Santa Monica, the studio he left in 2007 after serving as director of God of War 2 and initial designer of God of War 3. On the official PlayStation Blog, Barlog outlines the path that led to his return to Sony Santa Monica and hints at his next "freaking huge" project.
"What am I working on, you ask? Good question. Sadly, I cannot tell you...yet," Barlog wrote in a lengthy PlayStation Blog entry. "But I can say that it is freaking huge, and it will live up to the standards that I helped establish here at SMS. We're putting together a team as I type this, an Ocean's 11 kind of thing. We are searching the world high and low for the best of the BEST to come and be on the ground floor of this endeavor."
After leaving Sony Santa Monica in 2007, Barlog went on to work with filmmaker George Miller, director of the Mad Max franchise, to develop on a game based on the series. He also worked with Just Cause developer Avalanche Studios and most recently with Crystal Dynamics on an unannounced project. Barlog left Crystal Dynamics in April, according to his LinkedIn profile.
Sony Santa Monica released God of War: Ascension earlier this year and continues to release content for the game. The studio is also working with developer Ready At Dawn on PlayStation 4 game The Order: 1886. At Comic-Con, screenwriter Michael Angeli told Polygon he's working with the God of War developer on an all-new unannounced project.
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Wed Aug 27
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17.1 - Woady call me kōhai!
- On Patreon support
- Spacecom is 4X strategy, and you can grab beta keys here
- Favorite "Bad" Game
- Polygon must change its ethics policy.
- Games with great Sound Design
- Post your Weekend at Polygon/Daily headers here (August 2014)
- Woady Reviews Anime: Bleach the Movie: Hell Verse
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Tue Aug 26