Grand Theft Auto 5 publisher Take-Two Interactive tallied $800 million in sales on the game's first day of release, the company estimates.
That's the highest launch-day total for any GTA game and any game in Take-Two history, according to internal estimates. Grand Theft Auto 5 launched yesterday, Sept. 17, on PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 worldwide, except in Japan and Brazil, where it will be released soon.
Activision's Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 currently holds the record as the entertainment release that was the quickest to reach the $1 billion mark — last November, Black Ops 2 grossed $1 billion within 15 days of launch, one day faster than 2011's Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 and two days faster than the 2009 film Avatar. Black Ops 2 pulled in more than $500 million on its launch day.
"All of us at Take-Two are thrilled with the initial response to Grand Theft Auto 5. Once again, the team at Rockstar Games have outdone themselves, setting the entertainment industry's new standard for creativity, innovation and excellence," said Strauss Zelnick, chairman and CEO of Take-Two, in a press release today. According to Take-Two, more than 8,300 stores in North America held midnight openings for Grand Theft Auto 5.
The game is available in a $59.99 standard edition, a $79.99 Special Edition and a GameStop-exclusive Collector's Edition for $149.99. Take-Two did not release a figure for the total number of Grand Theft Auto 5 copies that have been sold so far.
You can read and watch our review of Grand Theft Auto 5 here, and take a spoiler-free tour through the game's first six hours in our Today I Played video. For a more in-depth look at the open-world title, read our interviews with creative director Dan Houser about metaphysics and the game's three protagonists and whether the Grand Theft Auto franchise is still relevant.
- The amazing real-world Assassin's Creed Unity parkour run and how it was created
- The new Unreal Tournament looks incredible, see it in motion
- Sony agrees to $15M settlement in 2011 data breach class action
- Here is how anyone can get The Sims 2 Ultimate Edition for free
- Titanfall getting in-game currency in update 5, coming July 31 with Frontier's Edge map pack
- Resistance is futile when playing Connect Four against this robot
- Shadowgate remake coming to Mac, PC on Aug. 21, mobile this fall
- Launching Civilization: Beyond Earth
- Download the Dwarf Fortress soundtrack and rock out in ASCII
- Dwarf Fortress will crush your CPU because creating history is hard
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Thu July 24
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.1: Silent Crusaders
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Standby Or Off On PS4
- What's your favorite silly game?
- Spare Xbox One code
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Tue July 22
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Wed July 23