Grand Theft Auto 5 publisher Take-Two Interactive tallied $800 million in sales on the game's first day of release, the company estimates.
That's the highest launch-day total for any GTA game and any game in Take-Two history, according to internal estimates. Grand Theft Auto 5 launched yesterday, Sept. 17, on PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 worldwide, except in Japan and Brazil, where it will be released soon.
Activision's Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 currently holds the record as the entertainment release that was the quickest to reach the $1 billion mark — last November, Black Ops 2 grossed $1 billion within 15 days of launch, one day faster than 2011's Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 and two days faster than the 2009 film Avatar. Black Ops 2 pulled in more than $500 million on its launch day.
"All of us at Take-Two are thrilled with the initial response to Grand Theft Auto 5. Once again, the team at Rockstar Games have outdone themselves, setting the entertainment industry's new standard for creativity, innovation and excellence," said Strauss Zelnick, chairman and CEO of Take-Two, in a press release today. According to Take-Two, more than 8,300 stores in North America held midnight openings for Grand Theft Auto 5.
The game is available in a $59.99 standard edition, a $79.99 Special Edition and a GameStop-exclusive Collector's Edition for $149.99. Take-Two did not release a figure for the total number of Grand Theft Auto 5 copies that have been sold so far.
You can read and watch our review of Grand Theft Auto 5 here, and take a spoiler-free tour through the game's first six hours in our Today I Played video. For a more in-depth look at the open-world title, read our interviews with creative director Dan Houser about metaphysics and the game's three protagonists and whether the Grand Theft Auto franchise is still relevant.
- PAX East 2014: All the games, all the news, all the kilts
- Bungie fires Halo composer Martin O'Donnell (update)
- League of Legends bots will start playing like people in new update
- Eufloria Adventures out on PS Mobile this week
- Half-Life record breaking speedrun clocks in under 21 minutes
- World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor updates won't slow down the game, says Blizzard
- Fable Anniversary designer Ted Timmins leaves Lionhead Studios
- From gatekeepers to guns for hire: The new role of indie game publishers
- World of Darkness developer CCP sees $21 million loss in 2013 fiscal year
- Final Fantasy 14: A Realm Reborn registrations exceed 2 million worldwide
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: M! (Wed 16 Apr)
- The best song in a video game?
- Gamertag Hook-Ups
- Post your Polygon Daily/Weekender headers here (April 2014)
- Pax East: Bring us your Polygon Scavenger Hunt photos, Vines and stories
- Daggerfall players
- The Hong Kong Massacre
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: Where's Polygon? (Tue 15 Apr)
- Getting a PS4
- XBOne Classifieds