Ito said feedback since the hardware's unveiling last week has been "strong ... more than we expected," and the company is considering launching the product outside of Japan. An international launch, however, means Sony would need to consider adding other media content for other territories.
"Of course, we are thinking about launching it in the U.S. and Europe," Ito later told Polygon, noting that Sony would need to launch the hardware with western equivalents of the NicoNico Douga and Tsutaya TV video streaming services. "We will look into each possibility before launching this in the West."
"Of course, we are thinking about launching it in the U.S. and Europe."
Sony Computer Entertainment head Andrew House corroborated that the response from western consumers has been encouraging for Sony. House also explained that Vita TV will launch in Japan first because the territory currently has no equal or competing devices, while streaming boxes are more common in other regions.
"There isn't really a competitor [in Japan] that's staked out a claim," he explained. "And frankly, in my own view, Japan is a little behind the adoption curve in video streaming services.
"So we thought we could have an opportunity in Japan to really establish a leadership position by having an additional differentiated killer app — which is having our huge library of streaming games content," he added.
- Police investigating Comic-Con cosplay assault, photographer arrested
- The front lines: How a beta makes a game better
- PlayStation Now rentals cost $2.99 for four hours play, but everything could be changing
- Twitter can fix its harassment problem, but why mess with success?
- A video history of Crytek in two minutes
More from Polygon
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.3: Summer Crusaders
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Thu July 31
- Post your Weekend at Polygon/Daily headers here (July 2014)
- my final thoughts on the DESTINY beta
- Xbox One Update Beta Invites
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Wed July 30
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Tell Us Your Story
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.2: Silent Crusaders