Ito said feedback since the hardware's unveiling last week has been "strong ... more than we expected," and the company is considering launching the product outside of Japan. An international launch, however, means Sony would need to consider adding other media content for other territories.
"Of course, we are thinking about launching it in the U.S. and Europe," Ito later told Polygon, noting that Sony would need to launch the hardware with western equivalents of the NicoNico Douga and Tsutaya TV video streaming services. "We will look into each possibility before launching this in the West."
"Of course, we are thinking about launching it in the U.S. and Europe."
Sony Computer Entertainment head Andrew House corroborated that the response from western consumers has been encouraging for Sony. House also explained that Vita TV will launch in Japan first because the territory currently has no equal or competing devices, while streaming boxes are more common in other regions.
"There isn't really a competitor [in Japan] that's staked out a claim," he explained. "And frankly, in my own view, Japan is a little behind the adoption curve in video streaming services.
"So we thought we could have an opportunity in Japan to really establish a leadership position by having an additional differentiated killer app — which is having our huge library of streaming games content," he added.
- Game of Thrones' Maisie Williams in talks for The Last of Us movie
- Proof '90s kids playing video games are cooler than kids today
- Win a trip to California and one-day design apprenticeship on Sunset Overdrive!
- Eve's new executive producer has a plan to attract new players with the help of old ones
- Street Fighter: World Warrior live action series in development
More from Polygon
- Weekend at Polygon's: Open Thread - July 26-27
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.2: Silent Crusaders
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Fri July 25
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Tell Us Your Story
- A New Steam Controller
- DESTINY disappointment?
- What's your favorite silly game?
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today