Three days after launching, Grand Theft Auto 5 became the fastest entertainment property to hit $1 billion in sales, according to company estimates released by publisher Take-Two Interactive today.
"Grand Theft Auto is a cultural phenomenon and Rockstar Games continues to redefine what can be achieved in interactive entertainment," Strauss Zelnick, chairman and CEO of Take-Two, said in a prepared statement. "We are incredibly proud of the extraordinary critical and commercial response to Grand Theft Auto 5."
The news comes just days after the company announced that the title tallied $800 million in sales on its launch day.
Activision's Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 previously held the record as the entertainment release that was the quickest to reach the $1 billion mark — last November, Black Ops 2 grossed $1 billion within 15 days of launch, one day faster than 2011's Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 and two days faster than the three fastest movies to hit that number: Avatar, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 and, most recently, The Avengers. Black Ops 2 pulled in more than $500 million on its launch day.
The game is available in a $59.99 standard edition, a $79.99 Special Edition and a GameStop-exclusive Collector's Edition for $149.99. Take-Two did not release a figure for the total number of Grand Theft Auto 5 copies that have been sold so far.
You can read and watch our review of Grand Theft Auto 5 here, and take a spoiler-free tour through the game's first six hours in our Today I Played video. For a more in-depth look at the open-world title, read our interviews with creative director Dan Houser about metaphysics and the game's three protagonists and whether the Grand Theft Auto franchise is still relevant.
- OlliOlli developer Roll7's next trick, the kill combo-based shoot 'em up Not A Hero
- Blizzard silenced Hearthstone players, and it made the game amazing
- Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn on PS4 - Overview video
- Guild Wars' nine year anniversary festivities kick off April 22
- Conception 2 review: bad romance
- PlayStation Store flash sale discounts Braid, Tokyo Jungle and more to just $0.99
- Cel Damage HD out on Tuesday for all PlayStation platforms
- My mother made me a gamer, and gave me the skills to deal with her death
- Splinter Cell Echoes comic coming this summer
- Final Fantasy 3 could be coming to PC
- Weekend at Polygon's: Party Time (19-20 April)
- Looking for Game Suggestions
- inFamous Screenshot Potluck Extravaganza!
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: Public Holidays = Relax! (Fri 18 Apr)
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Darkest Polygon: Lets start a Polygon Dark Souls 2 covenant
- NVIDIA GeForce Titan For Gaming?!
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 8: GOLDEN CRISIS
- Post Your Rig!
- Post your Polygon Daily/Weekender headers here (April 2014)