Valve will make three separate Steam-related announcements next week regarding gaming in the living room, the company said today alongside the launch of a teaser site.
The site hosts a countdown that will end at 1 p.m. ET on Monday, Sept. 23, as well as some cryptic planetary imagery and symbols along with the following title: "The Steam Universe is Expanding in 2014." The first symbol is a circle, then a circle within square brackets and a circle plus another circle:
It's possible that one of the announcements will be Valve's own "Steam Box," the company's long-awaited solution for living-room gaming.
On the site, Valve mentions Steam Big Picture, a living room-friendly redesign of Steam's user interface that the company launched last December.
"This year we've been working on even more ways to connect the dots for customers who want Steam in the living room," says Valve on the site. In a follow-up email to Polygon, a Valve representative added, "We will be talking next week about the steps we're taking to make Steam more accessible on televisions and in the living room." Gabe Newell, the head of Valve, said earlier this week that the company plans to reveal details about a Linux-based living room gaming box next week.
Valve also notes that it will enlist the help of the Steam community during the design process for the purported device, with the intent of letting users "shape the future of Steam."
We've reached out to Valve for more details, and will update this article with any information we receive.
Update: This story has been updated to reflect Valve's email to Polygon.
In This StoryStream
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: Beast Mode (Thurs 24 April)
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 8: GOLDEN CRISIS
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: What? (Wed 23 April)
- Titanfall less addictive than previous/similar games?
- NVIDIA GeForce Titan For Gaming?!
- Darkest Polygon: Lets start a Polygon Dark Souls 2 covenant
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Game freezes at the starting screen, launch error
- Changing Posting Name
- Weekend at Polygon's: Party Time (19-20 April)