Valve will make three separate Steam-related announcements next week regarding gaming in the living room, the company said today alongside the launch of a teaser site.
The site hosts a countdown that will end at 1 p.m. ET on Monday, Sept. 23, as well as some cryptic planetary imagery and symbols along with the following title: "The Steam Universe is Expanding in 2014." The first symbol is a circle, then a circle within square brackets and a circle plus another circle:
It's possible that one of the announcements will be Valve's own "Steam Box," the company's long-awaited solution for living-room gaming.
On the site, Valve mentions Steam Big Picture, a living room-friendly redesign of Steam's user interface that the company launched last December.
"This year we've been working on even more ways to connect the dots for customers who want Steam in the living room," says Valve on the site. In a follow-up email to Polygon, a Valve representative added, "We will be talking next week about the steps we're taking to make Steam more accessible on televisions and in the living room." Gabe Newell, the head of Valve, said earlier this week that the company plans to reveal details about a Linux-based living room gaming box next week.
Valve also notes that it will enlist the help of the Steam community during the design process for the purported device, with the intent of letting users "shape the future of Steam."
We've reached out to Valve for more details, and will update this article with any information we receive.
Update: This story has been updated to reflect Valve's email to Polygon.
In This StoryStream
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 5: The where I yet again break the rules
- WTB physical DS2 for PC in US
- Polygon Off-Topic Weekender: We broke 1K! (8-9 March)
- PD Users: Defined at Last! (Humour)
- Cheap Shark for Games?
- Owen Good, joining Polygon as senior reporter, weekends
- Square Goods @PS4 INVITE live 9pm pst
- Contest: Want to go to the Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls launch party on March 24?
- PS4 Now or Wait Till Price Drop & Gaikai?
- The controller: will it get fixed?