The latest set of 2K Sports' reveals for matches in WWE 2K14's 30 Years of WrestleMania mode centers on the "Ruthless Aggression" period of the WWE.
In the years following the massively successful Attitude Era, the WWE toned down the adult-oriented nature of its programming somewhat, although the post-Attitude Era WWE still featured plenty of violent storylines. The start of this period in wrestling was also marked by the organization's official changeover from the World Wrestling Federation (WWF) to World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE), following a 2002 trademark lawsuit filed by the World Wildlife Fund (WWF).
2K Sports announced today that WWE 2K14's 30 Years of WrestleMania mode will contain the following 12 contests from WrestleMania events during the Ruthless Aggression era:
- WrestleMania X8 (WrestleMania XVIII): The Rock vs. Hollywood Hogan
- WrestleMania X8 (WrestleMania XVIII): Chris Jericho (c) vs. Triple H
- WrestleMania XIX: HBK vs. Chris Jericho
- WrestleMania XIX: The Rock vs. Stone Cold Steve Austin
- WrestleMania XX: John Cena vs. The Big Show
- WrestleMania XX: Goldberg vs. Brock Lesnar
- WrestleMania 21: John "Bradshaw" Layfield vs. John Cena
- WrestleMania 22: Edge w/ Lita vs. Mick Foley
- WrestleMania 23: Batista (c) vs. The Undertaker
- WrestleMania 23: John Cena (c) vs. Shawn Michaels
- WrestleMania XXIV: HBK vs. Ric Flair
- WrestleMania XXIV: Randy Orton (c) vs. John Cena vs. Triple H
A notable omission from the matches is Chris Benoit, who was one of the era's biggest stars until he murdered his family and committed suicide in 2007. The WWE has since distanced itself from Benoit, and previous WWE franchise publisher THQ removed him from WWE SmackDown vs. Raw 2008.
You can see one screenshot from each match in the gallery below, and read up on the 30 Years of WrestleMania mode here. WWE 2K14 will be available Oct. 29 on Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.
- How a video game helped save my sanity
- Dungeons & Dragons castle defense game coming to mobile next year
- The New Nintendo 3DS is everything fun, exhausting, about Nintendo's strategy
- People watched Twitch Plays Pokémon for a billion minutes
- In Firewatch, the job isn't to keep the wilderness from burning down
- Nintendo reveals the New Nintendo 3DS
- Tearaway started life as a fleshy finger game
- Longtime Castlevania producer leaves Konami
- Grand Theft Auto 5's PC version will get an updated soundtrack
- Help Nipah build a PC