The latest set of 2K Sports' reveals for matches in WWE 2K14's 30 Years of WrestleMania mode centers on the "Ruthless Aggression" period of the WWE.
In the years following the massively successful Attitude Era, the WWE toned down the adult-oriented nature of its programming somewhat, although the post-Attitude Era WWE still featured plenty of violent storylines. The start of this period in wrestling was also marked by the organization's official changeover from the World Wrestling Federation (WWF) to World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE), following a 2002 trademark lawsuit filed by the World Wildlife Fund (WWF).
2K Sports announced today that WWE 2K14's 30 Years of WrestleMania mode will contain the following 12 contests from WrestleMania events during the Ruthless Aggression era:
- WrestleMania X8 (WrestleMania XVIII): The Rock vs. Hollywood Hogan
- WrestleMania X8 (WrestleMania XVIII): Chris Jericho (c) vs. Triple H
- WrestleMania XIX: HBK vs. Chris Jericho
- WrestleMania XIX: The Rock vs. Stone Cold Steve Austin
- WrestleMania XX: John Cena vs. The Big Show
- WrestleMania XX: Goldberg vs. Brock Lesnar
- WrestleMania 21: John "Bradshaw" Layfield vs. John Cena
- WrestleMania 22: Edge w/ Lita vs. Mick Foley
- WrestleMania 23: Batista (c) vs. The Undertaker
- WrestleMania 23: John Cena (c) vs. Shawn Michaels
- WrestleMania XXIV: HBK vs. Ric Flair
- WrestleMania XXIV: Randy Orton (c) vs. John Cena vs. Triple H
A notable omission from the matches is Chris Benoit, who was one of the era's biggest stars until he murdered his family and committed suicide in 2007. The WWE has since distanced itself from Benoit, and previous WWE franchise publisher THQ removed him from WWE SmackDown vs. Raw 2008.
You can see one screenshot from each match in the gallery below, and read up on the 30 Years of WrestleMania mode here. WWE 2K14 will be available Oct. 29 on Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.
- TowerFall Ascension review: bowstring symphony
- The final years of Irrational Games, according to those who were there
- Ouya may not be dead, but its long history of stumbles makes success unlikely
- When a successful game is a failure
- EA's CEO on the company's plans for virtual reality
- DualShock 4 decals offer customization for your PS4 controller
- Why Watch Dogs went into hiding
- The Besties: The Best Games of February 2014
- Why Renegade Kid is creating a free-style scooter game
- Goofball Goals - Overview video