Sony's cloud gaming service, Gaikai, could eventually be used to stream PlayStation games to devices like computers, televisions, Blu-ray players, smartphones and tablets, said Sony's Shuhei Yoshida in an interview with Dengeki Online.
"We previously spoke about PlayStation going from hardware to something closer to a service, regardless of the device," said Yoshida, president of Sony Computer Entertainment Worldwide Studios, as translated by DualShockers.
"Speaking of the ultimate goal, we would like to deliver PlayStation games to all devices," he continued. "So we're considering various things like PC, TVs, Blu-ray players, smartphones and tablets. We hope to continue to expand not only to Sony devices, but even to devices other than Sony's."
Yoshida also noted that the possibility of this expansion is "still being studied." For one thing, it's unclear what control method would be used on some of the aforementioned devices.
Sony announced during E3 2013 that Gaikai won't be available until 2014, and the company said last week that the service will be used to stream a select library of PlayStation 3 games — confirming a plan that Yoshida floated when Sony unveiled the PlayStation 4 this past February. Currently, Gaikai will support streaming of games to the PS4, PlayStation Vita and PS Vita TV.
- The 'true' story of a Pokémon game that turns you into a murderer
- A guided tour of the 1 KB hard drive built inside Minecraft
- Microsoft hosting ID@Xbox open house before PAX kicks off
- Fez developer Polytron hacked in ongoing game developer harassment effort
- That bucket came from the moon: Yep, Destiny took the ice bucket challenge
- Weekend at Pokégon's: Open Thread - Aug 23-24
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17 - Heart Containers
- Anime You Might Not Have Tried/Heard of #9
- Let's See Your Photo Mode Snaps From The Last of Us!
- Pokegon Daily Open Thread: Double Sabre - Fri Aug 22
- Female representation in gaming
- 'Goodbye Polygon,' said Frushtick
- Pokémon Discussions: Summer into Fall
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- Polynauts Fantasy Football League