According to Mark Smith, Nvidia's senior technical evangelist, Nvidia engineers have been "embedded at Valve" to assist the company's development of SteamOS. Their work includes improving OpenGL performance, and optimizing overall performance for Nvidia graphics cards. Nvidia also helped Valve to port the Source engine to Linux and reduce input lag in SteamOS.
Nvidia's work with Valve appears to be part of an overall push at the graphics company to increase support for Linux.
"The collaboration makes sense as both companies strongly believe in the importance of open-platform innovation, and both companies are committed to providing gamers with a cutting-edge visual experience," said Smith.
- Thoughts on the inaccurate sensor bar
- Looking for good JRPGs on PS3, help needed
- Polygon Daily Open Thread: Personable - Mon Sep 1
- Woady Reviews Anime: Whisper of the Heart
- Pokémon Discussions: Summer into Fall
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17.1 - Woady call me kōhai!
- Editorial idea for Polygon
- Weekend at Polygon's: Open Thread - Aug 30-31
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Reconsidering Columbine