According to Mark Smith, Nvidia's senior technical evangelist, Nvidia engineers have been "embedded at Valve" to assist the company's development of SteamOS. Their work includes improving OpenGL performance, and optimizing overall performance for Nvidia graphics cards. Nvidia also helped Valve to port the Source engine to Linux and reduce input lag in SteamOS.
Nvidia's work with Valve appears to be part of an overall push at the graphics company to increase support for Linux.
"The collaboration makes sense as both companies strongly believe in the importance of open-platform innovation, and both companies are committed to providing gamers with a cutting-edge visual experience," said Smith.
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Fri July 25
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Thu July 24
- DESTINY disappointment?
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.1: Silent Crusaders
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- Deals With Gold Weekly(?) Update
- What's your favorite silly game?
- Why you don't like this headline: Here's how a change in style guide might just be the most clicked click thing you've clicked today