Early access to Bungie's next game, the "shared world shooter" Destiny, may be coming in the form of a beta available to those who pre-order the game.
According to text on the official Destiny website spotted by a Reddit user, players can "pre-order Destiny at select retailers and receive admission to the Destiny Beta." That text appears to have been scrubbed from the Destiny website after the discovery, but still appears in Google's cache. A post on Reddit indicated that the pre-order messaging appeared only on the U.K. and Canada versions of the site.
None of the official retailers listed on the Destiny website, which includes Amazon, Best Buy, GameStop, Target and Walmart in the U.S., mention beta access as an incentive to pre-order the game. Bungie and publisher Activision have not made any official announcements regarding beta access through pre-orders. We've contacted Activision for confirmation.
Bungie put out the call for alpha and beta testers for Destiny earlier this year through its User Research program.
Destiny is planned for release on Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, Xbox One and PlayStation 4 next year.
- Game of Thrones' Maisie Williams in talks for The Last of Us movie
- Proof '90s kids playing video games are cooler than kids today
- Win a trip to California and one-day design apprenticeship on Sunset Overdrive!
- Eve's new executive producer has a plan to attract new players with the help of old ones
- Street Fighter: World Warrior live action series in development
More from Polygon
- Weekend at Polygon's: Open Thread - July 26-27
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.2: Silent Crusaders
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Fri July 25
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Tell Us Your Story
- A New Steam Controller
- DESTINY disappointment?
- What's your favorite silly game?
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today