Shadow of the Eternals, Precursor Games' spiritual successor to 2002's Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem, is "on hold" for an undisclosed amount of time, chief creative officer Denis Dyack announced via the game's forums.
Several members of Precursor Games' staff will "be taking a break," though the game's forums will remain open for fans. Dyack and other members of the staff will continue to be active on the forums from time to time.
"For those who are not aware, we all worked on this project as a labor of love and self financed 100 percent of everything for a over a year to try to make Shadow of the Eternals a reality," Dyack wrote. "Although we did not succeed on doing this, we succeeded in making many friends and starting something that we hope provided value for those involved. We have no regrets."
Dyack added that the project isn't dead, but Precursor Games feels it "needs a rest too."
"We have all agreed as a group that when and if the time is right we will get together and start it up again," Dyack wrote.
The news is yet another bump in a road lined with controversy. Shadow of the Eternals was pulled from its first Kickstarter campaign, which attempted to raise funds through PayPal and Kickstarter simultaneously. During this time, there were concerns about company ties to the legally embattled Silicon Knights, where many Precursor members were previously employees. On top of this, former Precursor employee Ken McCulloch was arrested on charges of child pornography. The project's second Kickstarter funding effort fell drastically short of its goal.
For more on Shadow of the Eternals and its troubled journey, read our interview with Dyack.
- Basement Crawl review: cutting room
- The final years of Irrational Games, according to those who were there
- When a successful game is a failure
- Jack Tretton steps down as CEO of Sony Computer Entertainment America
- JoJo's Bizarre Adventure launches in America April 29
- Darkseid exclusively joins Injustice:Gods Among Us app
- Why Watch Dogs went into hiding
- Goofball Goals - Overview video
- Watch Dogs for Wii U still in development, 2014 release possible
- Inafune shows off side-scrolling action game Azure Striker Gunvolt
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 5: The where I yet again break the rules
- Contest: Want to go to the Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls launch party on March 24?
- More Pokémon Discussions: Redux
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: 100% Complete (Thu 6 Mar)
- How to make "South Park:Stick of Truth" more like Final Fantasy