XCOM: Enemy Unknown's Enemy Within expansion will arrive on consoles as part of the Commander's Edition retail release and not as DLC because the file was too large to "patch in," Garth DeAngelis, senior producer at Firaxis Games told Joystiq at PAX.
"For the expansion on the PC, it was fairly straightforward," DeAngelis told Joystiq. "But when it came to the consoles, it was too big. If we wanted to deliver the same content to the console players, we had to do it this way as a standalone expansion on a disc. We couldn't simply just patch it in."
Enemy Within will see a release as DLC on Windows PC and Mac for $30. The Commander's Edition features XCOM: Enemy Unknown, the Enemy Within expansion and Slingshot and Elite Soldier add-ons. According to DeAngelis, the company wanted to release the Commander's Edition "as sort of the ultimate edition" and "it was either deliver it this way or not deliver it at all."
The expansion will release to PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and Windows PC Nov. 12 and will offer new maps and new multiplayer content. To learn how the expansion came to fruition, be sure to read our interview with XCOM: Enemy Within's lead designer, Ananda Gupta.
- Win a one-day design apprenticeship on Sunset Overdrive!
- Notorious Airbnb squatter may be the dev behind two flailing Kickstarter games
- Report: Google to acquire Twitch for $1 billion
- Here is why you probably won't get into the LittleBigPlanet 3 private beta this August
- Sunset Overdrive's character customization is serious business
More from Polygon
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Thu July 24
- DESTINY disappointment?
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.1: Silent Crusaders
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Deals With Gold Weekly(?) Update
- What's your favorite silly game?
- Why you don't like this headline: Here's how a change in style guide might just be the most clicked click thing you've clicked today
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- PS4 Beta Codes