XCOM: Enemy Unknown's Enemy Within expansion will arrive on consoles as part of the Commander's Edition retail release and not as DLC because the file was too large to "patch in," Garth DeAngelis, senior producer at Firaxis Games told Joystiq at PAX.
"For the expansion on the PC, it was fairly straightforward," DeAngelis told Joystiq. "But when it came to the consoles, it was too big. If we wanted to deliver the same content to the console players, we had to do it this way as a standalone expansion on a disc. We couldn't simply just patch it in."
Enemy Within will see a release as DLC on Windows PC and Mac for $30. The Commander's Edition features XCOM: Enemy Unknown, the Enemy Within expansion and Slingshot and Elite Soldier add-ons. According to DeAngelis, the company wanted to release the Commander's Edition "as sort of the ultimate edition" and "it was either deliver it this way or not deliver it at all."
The expansion will release to PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and Windows PC Nov. 12 and will offer new maps and new multiplayer content. To learn how the expansion came to fruition, be sure to read our interview with XCOM: Enemy Within's lead designer, Ananda Gupta.
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: Do Polynauts dream of analog sheep? (Fri 7 Mar)
- PD Users: Defined at Last! (Humour)
- Contest: Want to go to the Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls launch party on March 24?
- More Pokémon Discussions: Redux
- Post your Polygon Daily/Weekender headers here (March 2014)
- When Gameplay coincides with the story
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 5: The where I yet again break the rules
- Dracul: Now not a Dick
- Welcome to the Polygon Community!
- Which FPS are you most looking forward to in 2014?