XCOM: Enemy Unknown's Enemy Within expansion will arrive on consoles as part of the Commander's Edition retail release and not as DLC because the file was too large to "patch in," Garth DeAngelis, senior producer at Firaxis Games told Joystiq at PAX.
"For the expansion on the PC, it was fairly straightforward," DeAngelis told Joystiq. "But when it came to the consoles, it was too big. If we wanted to deliver the same content to the console players, we had to do it this way as a standalone expansion on a disc. We couldn't simply just patch it in."
Enemy Within will see a release as DLC on Windows PC and Mac for $30. The Commander's Edition features XCOM: Enemy Unknown, the Enemy Within expansion and Slingshot and Elite Soldier add-ons. According to DeAngelis, the company wanted to release the Commander's Edition "as sort of the ultimate edition" and "it was either deliver it this way or not deliver it at all."
The expansion will release to PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and Windows PC Nov. 12 and will offer new maps and new multiplayer content. To learn how the expansion came to fruition, be sure to read our interview with XCOM: Enemy Within's lead designer, Ananda Gupta.
- Toys for Bob and the story behind Skylanders
- Your first look at Prodigy's two new monstrous creatures
- Bungie fires Halo composer Martin O'Donnell (update)
- Wildstar PvP will throw you into a 40 vs. 40 battle royale
- Starbound studio is helping to bring metroidvania RPG Heart Forth, Alicia to new platforms
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: PLACE HAND HERE! (Thu 17 Apr)
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 8: GOLDEN CRISIS
- Scrolling front page - can't access bottom banner
- The best song in a video game?
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: M! (Wed 16 Apr)
- Darkest Polygon: Lets start a Polygon Dark Souls 2 covenant
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Post your Polygon Daily/Weekender headers here (April 2014)
- Controller Design Competition
- What characters would you guys like to see on the new Super Smash Bros?