TimeSplitters Rewind, a collection of maps, weapons and characters from the three previous TimeSplitters titles in the series, is in development for PlayStation 4 systems by a team of around 35 part-time developers, project lead Michael Hubicka told CinemaBlend.
However, this doesn't mean the multiplayer title, which is powered by CryEngine 3, will necessary make it to retail. According to Hubicka, the development team is working to obtain approval from Crytek's legal department in order to release the game on Sony's console.
"We're actually going to go ahead and start development [of Timesplitters Rewind] on PlayStation 4. Just because we're pretty confident Crytek's going to say go ahead and do it. But we don't want them saying go ahead and do it when we're caught with our pants down and we're like halfway through development and [then] start something for the PlayStation 4," he said.
"So we decided that since they released the SDK to allow us to do this, we're going to go ahead and do it ourselves, and when they say 'yes' or 'no' we can decide what to do with that. For now we're just going to go ahead and do it. So at least we're prepared".
A playable alpha is slated for release later in the year. According to Hubicka, they team is roughly 20 percent done with the game, but plans on releasing playable parts as they become available, with characters, maps and weapons scheduled to arrive later on.
- Just about ready to cash in my pre-order......
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 5: The where I yet again break the rules
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: Prepare to Die (Tues 11 Mar)
- PD Users: Defined at Last! (Humour)
- More Pokémon Discussions: Redux
- The Last of US DLC
- Contest: Want to go to the Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls launch party on March 24?
- Why no wireless chat with Xbox One Headsets?
- Mobile Marketing Tips
- This is why we can't have nice things.