TimeSplitters Rewind, a collection of maps, weapons and characters from the three previous TimeSplitters titles in the series, is in development for PlayStation 4 systems by a team of around 35 part-time developers, project lead Michael Hubicka told CinemaBlend.
However, this doesn't mean the multiplayer title, which is powered by CryEngine 3, will necessary make it to retail. According to Hubicka, the development team is working to obtain approval from Crytek's legal department in order to release the game on Sony's console.
"We're actually going to go ahead and start development [of Timesplitters Rewind] on PlayStation 4. Just because we're pretty confident Crytek's going to say go ahead and do it. But we don't want them saying go ahead and do it when we're caught with our pants down and we're like halfway through development and [then] start something for the PlayStation 4," he said.
"So we decided that since they released the SDK to allow us to do this, we're going to go ahead and do it ourselves, and when they say 'yes' or 'no' we can decide what to do with that. For now we're just going to go ahead and do it. So at least we're prepared".
A playable alpha is slated for release later in the year. According to Hubicka, they team is roughly 20 percent done with the game, but plans on releasing playable parts as they become available, with characters, maps and weapons scheduled to arrive later on.
- Polygon Daily Open Thread: What is this thing? Is this interesting? - Tue Sep 2
- A note from the (reviews) editor: No release-day Destiny review
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17.1 - Woady call me kōhai!
- Looking for good JRPGs on PS3, help needed
- What is your Current Game of the Year?
- What Have You Been Reading? (September 2014)
- Let's talk about the Guardians of the Galaxy film
- Forum moderation?
- Editorial idea for Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread: Personable - Mon Sep 1