Some of Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain's characters are being redesigned to make them "more erotic" in an effort to encourage cosplay, said game director Hideo Kojima in a series of tweets today.
"I've been ordering to Yoji [Shinkawa, the game's art director] to make the character more erotic, and he did it well," said Kojima on his English Twitter account. "Recently I've been making characters this way. I create the setting thoroughly, how he/she spent early life, name, style, favorite phrase, fashion, action, to stand the character out."
He continued, "The initial target is to make [you] want to do cosplay or its figurine to sell well."
Kojima plans to provide detailed information on the CG model for Quiet — the mute, bikini-clad sniper revealed in Metal Gear Solid 5's E3 trailer — for cosplay purposes this Friday, Sept. 6, at 3 a.m. ET. According to Kojima, he received requests for that data from fans looking to cosplay as Quiet at this year's Tokyo Game Show.
He also seemed to express a concern that the outfit for the new, more erotic version of Quiet may be too difficult for cosplayers to replicate, saying, "This one may not be cosplayable [...] What if no one would do Quiet cosplay at TGS even [if I give] the info...lol?" He later provided an image of a potential costume for Quiet.
- Win a trip to California and one-day design apprenticeship on Sunset Overdrive!
- GTA 4 now looks as good as GTA 5 — if you have a PC
- Notorious Airbnb squatter may be the dev behind two flailing Kickstarter games
- It takes 40 minutes to drive across country in The Crew, watch it happen right here
- The Nic Cage-led Superman movie was delightfully bizarre, and doomed
More from Polygon
- A New Steam Controller
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.1: Silent Crusaders
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Fri July 25
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- DESTINY disappointment?
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Thu July 24
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- Deals With Gold Weekly(?) Update
- What's your favorite silly game?