Novice Battlefield players often shy away from vehicles because they're tough to handle, but developer EA DICE is giving players a tutorial option with Battlefield 4's test range, said creative director Lars Gustavsson in an interview with IGN.
"We've definitely heard that people are afraid of getting in there [and using vehicles like helicopters] and that's not our intent," said Gustavsson.
"We've added a test range, which allows you to try out all the hardware ahead of time so that if you want to learn to fly a helicopter you can get in there and you can find the settings that work best for you," he continued. Users can try flying around and doing stunts in the test range, getting some experience under their belts before they go out onto the battlefield to fly their teammates to the fight.
DICE is also tweaking the Battlefield 4 server system, which, in Battlefield 3, was often prone to abuse from server administrators. The new setup will offer "pre-defined scales," with gradual levels of rule sets separating official servers (normal settings), ranked servers (some tweaked settings) and unranked servers (completely customized settings).
"We give you as an admin the freedom, but also to take responsibility for the end user who wants to have a good experience," said Gustavsson.
- No skin thick enough: The daily harassment of women in the game industry
- The studio that made Tony Hawk's Pro Skater closed, here's its billion-dollar story
- Dark Souls 2: Crown of the Sunken King review: return of the king
- How the Model T convinced Nvidia to build a gaming-focused tablet
- Fan-made Smash Bros. has better characters
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Tue July 22
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.1: Silent Crusaders
- Deals With Gold Weekly(?) Update
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- What's your favorite silly game?
- What worlds will we explore in Destiny?
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Thoughts on Destiny
- Yakuza 5 (Ryū ga Gotoku 5) Fan Translation Gone?