Bad news for console owners hoping for a taste of Torchlight 2. Publisher Runic says it has "no plans" to release the game on Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3.
Torchlight 2, a dungeon-crawling overhead RPG, has sold more than two million copies since its launch for Windows PC. In our review, Polygon wrote that the game "feels like the cumulative work of perfectionists intent on making the action role-playing game of their dreams." Runic is working on a Mac version.
The original Torchlight, was first launched as Windows PC game in 2009, and ported to Xbox 360 in 2011. A PlayStation 3 version was touted for a while, but eventually scrapped. Runic today told VG247 that, for the sequel, a console version is not likely.
In September 2012, when Torchlight 2 was launched, Runic CEO Max Schaefer told IGN that a port was possible but unlikely. "We haven't ruled it out but to do a port like we did last time, would probably not be on the cards, because of the limitations of Xbox Live Arcade," he said.
"We would have to down-sample all our artwork this time. With Torchlight we were able to do a direct port of pretty much all of the art assets, other than the interface that had to be redesigned. It would be a lot more work this time. It's questionable whether a business case can be made for that."
- This is a video game (and it's the best thing ever)
- The Sims 4 gameplay video - 48 hours in the life of a Sim
- Here's your first look at Dead or Alive 5 Last Round on PS4 and Xbox One
- Nearly 1K developers sign letter to end intolerance in the games community (update)
- Keep your pants up with these GoldenEye proximity mines
- Polygon Daily Open Thread: What is this thing? Is this interesting? - Tue Sep 2
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17.1 - Woady call me kōhai!
- Looking for good JRPGs on PS3, help needed
- What Have You Been Reading? (September 2014)
- What is your Current Game of the Year?
- Let's talk about the Guardians of the Galaxy film
- Forum moderation?
- Editorial idea for Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread: Personable - Mon Sep 1
- Woady Reviews Anime: Whisper of the Heart