Sony revealed its third-generation 3D head-mounted display, the HMZ-T3, which retails for £1,299 (approximately $2030) and supports gaming with PlayStation 3 and Windows PC.
The head-mounted display can also be used with smartphones for video playback. Supporting 60GHz wireless transmissions, the HMZ-T3 consists of dual 720p OLED displays and touts 7.1 channel surround sound.
The device's lithium battery has a three-hour lifespan with a wireless HD connection and lasts seven hours with an HDMI connection, according to Sony. The head-mounted unit weighs roughly 320g, not including the cable, battery and processor units. Be sure to check out The Verge's hands-on with the head-mounted display.
Sony unveiled its first generation headset, the HMZ-T1, in Jan. 2011. The HMZ-T2 was demoed at last year's Tokyo Game Show, where The Verge went hands-on with it in conjunction with Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance on PlayStation 3.
Sony is expected to unveil another new headset to complement the PlayStation 4 at the Tokyo Game Show later this month. According to reports, Sony had initially planned to reveal the headset at Gamescom last month, but pulled the announcement at the last minute.
- Win a trip to California and one-day design apprenticeship on Sunset Overdrive!
- GTA 4 now looks as good as GTA 5 — if you have a PC
- Explore Unreal Tournament in these 5 gameplay videos
- Notorious Airbnb squatter may be the dev behind two flailing Kickstarter games
- It takes 40 minutes to drive across country in The Crew, watch it happen right here
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Fri July 25
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.1: Silent Crusaders
- DESTINY disappointment?
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Thu July 24
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- Deals With Gold Weekly(?) Update
- What's your favorite silly game?
- Why you don't like this headline: Here's how a change in style guide might just be the most clicked click thing you've clicked today