Infinity Ward executive producer Mark Rubin took to TwitLonger yesterday to explain the changes coming to sniper rifles in Call of Duty: Ghosts when it launches this November.
Call of Duty: Ghosts will include a new marksman class, the design of which changed how sniper rifles will work in the next Call of Duty game.
"The changes we've made, like dual render scopes and increased damage really make snipers a great competitive class to use," Rubin wrote on TwitLonger. "We've also done a lot with map design (sight lines and cover) to ensure that all classes are viably effective. Both short range and long range classes will be effective on the same maps."
Those changes will affect "quick-scoping," which historically allowed players to pull up their scopes for a quick battlefield kill, rather than being entrenched in a perch like a traditional sniper.
"However in re-envisioning sniper rifles some aspects, such as sway timing, have changed the way sniper rifles function and so traditional 'quick-scoping' has been affected," he wrote. "Is it gone completely? Maybe. It certainly won't be viable in the way it previously was. Can't wait for you snipers out there to get your hands on these new sniper rifles and try them out for yourselves."
Call of Duty: Ghosts is headed to PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, Xbox 360, Xbox One, Wii U and Windows PC this November. For more on the game, check out Polygon's E3 2013 in-depth interview with Infinity Ward.
- Proof '90s kids playing video games are cooler than kids today
- Win a trip to California and one-day design apprenticeship on Sunset Overdrive!
- Eve's new executive producer has a plan to attract new players with the help of old ones
- Game of Thrones' Maisie Williams in talks for The Last of Us movie
- First Tekken 7 details revealed at Comic-Con
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Thu July 24
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Fri July 25
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.2: Silent Crusaders
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- What's your favorite silly game?
- DESTINY disappointment?
- PLAYSTATION WONT SIGN IN
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.1: Silent Crusaders
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Women in Games: A Reaction