Infinity Ward executive producer Mark Rubin took to TwitLonger yesterday to explain the changes coming to sniper rifles in Call of Duty: Ghosts when it launches this November.
Call of Duty: Ghosts will include a new marksman class, the design of which changed how sniper rifles will work in the next Call of Duty game.
"The changes we've made, like dual render scopes and increased damage really make snipers a great competitive class to use," Rubin wrote on TwitLonger. "We've also done a lot with map design (sight lines and cover) to ensure that all classes are viably effective. Both short range and long range classes will be effective on the same maps."
Those changes will affect "quick-scoping," which historically allowed players to pull up their scopes for a quick battlefield kill, rather than being entrenched in a perch like a traditional sniper.
"However in re-envisioning sniper rifles some aspects, such as sway timing, have changed the way sniper rifles function and so traditional 'quick-scoping' has been affected," he wrote. "Is it gone completely? Maybe. It certainly won't be viable in the way it previously was. Can't wait for you snipers out there to get your hands on these new sniper rifles and try them out for yourselves."
Call of Duty: Ghosts is headed to PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, Xbox 360, Xbox One, Wii U and Windows PC this November. For more on the game, check out Polygon's E3 2013 in-depth interview with Infinity Ward.
- What does it really cost to open an indie studio? All your money, most of your life
- Divinity: Original Sin review: next to godliness
- If Sony wants PlayStation Now to succeed, it has to treat us better than GameStop
- How well does PlayStation Now work on PS4?
- Rayman creator Michel Ancel leading new indie studio Wild Sheep, will stay at Ubisoft
More from Polygon
- What games on the Hype Train exceeded your expectations?
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Thu July 31
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.3: Summer Crusaders
- Xbox One Update Beta Invites
- Do you often read the reviews after finishing a game?
- Post your Weekend at Polygon/Daily headers here (July 2014)
- my final thoughts on the DESTINY beta
- What's your favorite silly game?
- Tell Us Your Story