StarCraft Universe, the online role-playing game mod for StarCraft 2 given Blizzard's blessing, reached its Kickstarter funding goal today.
As of this writing, the crowdfunding campaign has earned $80,097 of its $80,000 goal from 1,535 backers with 33 hours remaining.
The free-to-play mod has been in development for two years and will be released through Battle.net, the launcher for Blizzard games like Diablo 3, Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft and World of Warcraft. Developer Upheaval Arts is planning for an open beta in late 2013 or early 2014.
For more on StarCraft Universe and the alternate timeline it operates within, you can check out the Kickstarter campaign in its final hours and read about the version that launched through Battle.net earlier this year.
Update: We've amended the article to refer to StarCraft Universe as an online RPG, not an MMORPG as originally written.
- No skin thick enough: The daily harassment of women in the game industry
- The studio that made Tony Hawk's Pro Skater closed, here's its billion-dollar story
- Dark Souls 2: Crown of the Sunken King review: return of the king
- How the Model T convinced Nvidia to build a gaming-focused tablet
- Kickstarter suspends Ex-STALKER devs' Areal campaign, West Games turns to direct funding