More than 16 million 3DS games were sold through retailers and Nintendo's eShop in 2013, an increase of more than 45 percent compared to 2012's sales numbers, according to a Nintendo press release.
The company also announced today that lifetime sales of the 3DS, 3DS XL and 2DS topped 11.5 million in the United States.
"Nintendo 3DS is a powerhouse with games and experiences that appeal to all kinds of players," Scott Moffitt, Nintendo of America's executive vice president of sales and marketing, said in a prepared statement. "We're not slowing down in 2014. With more games featuring fan-favorite franchises on the way, the best days of Nintendo 3DS are still to come."
The 2DS was released in North America in October for $129.99.
- Polygon Daily Open Thread: What is this thing? Is this interesting? - Tue Sep 2
- Looking for good JRPGs on PS3, help needed
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17.1 - Woady call me kōhai!
- What Have You Been Reading? (September 2014)
- What is your Current Game of the Year?
- Let's talk about the Guardians of the Galaxy film
- Forum moderation?
- Editorial idea for Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread: Personable - Mon Sep 1
- Woady Reviews Anime: Whisper of the Heart