Development on The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth, the updated edition of the 2D roguelike from 2011, is "more than halfway done," and the game is on track to be released this year, said lead designer Edmund McMillen on his blog today.
McMillen posted a Q&A with an imaginary fan demanding answers about Rebirth, which is a full remake of the original game that McMillen announced in November 2012. Rebirth is in development on PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, PlayStation Vita and Windows PC. McMillen did not rule out releases on other platforms such as Nintendo 3DS, although he said the game's religious content "currently goes against Nintendo's publishing rules."
According to McMillen, 85 percent of Rebirth's art is complete — it will feature a completely new art style compared to the original Flash game — and "almost all the game's old content has been remade in the new engine." He has no plans to release an Early Access version of Rebirth because he doesn't want the game's secrets to be discovered ahead of release, and, he said, because "I hate showing my [work in progress] games."
For more on The Binding of Isaac, check out our opinion piece highlighting its place in eSports.
- How a video game helped save my sanity
- Dragon Quest Heroes brings the series back to PlayStation in Dynasty Warriors style
- The New Nintendo 3DS is everything fun, exhausting, about Nintendo's strategy
- Persona 5 coming to PS3 and PS4 in 2015
- Disgaea 5, Earth Defense Force, Ys, Gundam and Senran Kagura coming to PS4
- Polygon Daily Open Thread: Personable - Mon Sep 1
- Post your Weekend at Polygon/Daily headers here (September 2014)
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17.1 - Woady call me kōhai!
- Good graphics cards for £80-110?
- Help Nipah build a PC
- On Being A "Gamer"
- Weekend at Polygon's: Open Thread - Aug 30-31
- Reconsidering Columbine
- Woady Reviews Anime: Bleach the Movie: Hell Verse
- What is your Current Game of the Year?