Development on The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth, the updated edition of the 2D roguelike from 2011, is "more than halfway done," and the game is on track to be released this year, said lead designer Edmund McMillen on his blog today.
McMillen posted a Q&A with an imaginary fan demanding answers about Rebirth, which is a full remake of the original game that McMillen announced in November 2012. Rebirth is in development on PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, PlayStation Vita and Windows PC. McMillen did not rule out releases on other platforms such as Nintendo 3DS, although he said the game's religious content "currently goes against Nintendo's publishing rules."
According to McMillen, 85 percent of Rebirth's art is complete — it will feature a completely new art style compared to the original Flash game — and "almost all the game's old content has been remade in the new engine." He has no plans to release an Early Access version of Rebirth because he doesn't want the game's secrets to be discovered ahead of release, and, he said, because "I hate showing my [work in progress] games."
For more on The Binding of Isaac, check out our opinion piece highlighting its place in eSports.
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17.1 - Woady call me kōhai!
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Wed Aug 27
- Woady Reviews Anime: Bleach the Movie: Hell Verse
- On Patreon support
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Tue Aug 26
- Favorite "Bad" Game
- Pre-load coming to the XB1 according to the store page
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17 - Heart Containers
- Polygon must change its ethics policy.
- Post your Weekend at Polygon/Daily headers here (August 2014)