Brad McQuaid, a longtime designer of massively multiplayer online role-playing games such as EverQuest and Vanguard: Saga of Heroes, launched a Kickstarter campaign today for his latest title, Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen.
McQuaid and his team at Visionary Realms describe Pantheon as a "group-focused MMORPG based on challenging gameplay and open-world high fantasy." The studio has already begun working on Pantheon — the Kickstarter page contains a few screenshots from a pre-alpha build of the game, and the pitch video includes some gameplay footage — and is asking for $800,000 to fund the rest of development until the initial release.
Stretch goals for the project begin at $1 million and run all the way up to $6.7 million, and include additional classes and game features. Backers will receive rewards in the form of unique in-game content and, in some cases, the ability to contribute game elements like item names and designs.
Visionary Realms is gearing Pantheon toward people who want challenging combat as well as an "intensely social game." Combat will be an active experience, with players able to block, dodge and deflect attacks, and preparing one's arsenal for particular enemies will be key.
"Hopefully you'll like what you see and find the game's design and focus both compelling and refreshing," said McQuaid, chief content officer at Visionary Realms. "That's really why Visionary Realms was formed, to re-empower both the developers and the players. You as the customer get the ultimate vote in whether we create this world and to what degree we implement our stretch goals."
Interested parties can check out the Kickstarter campaign for Pantheon here. The game is in development on Mac and Windows PC, and may be released on other platforms in the future.
- The 'true' story of a Pokémon game that turns you into a murderer
- A guided tour of the 1 KB hard drive built inside Minecraft
- Microsoft hosting ID@Xbox open house before PAX kicks off
- Fez developer Polytron hacked in ongoing game developer harassment effort
- That bucket came from the moon: Yep, Destiny took the ice bucket challenge
- Weekend at Pokégon's: Open Thread - Aug 23-24
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17 - Heart Containers
- Anime You Might Not Have Tried/Heard of #9
- Let's See Your Photo Mode Snaps From The Last of Us!
- Pokegon Daily Open Thread: Double Sabre - Fri Aug 22
- Female representation in gaming
- 'Goodbye Polygon,' said Frushtick
- Pokémon Discussions: Summer into Fall
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- Polynauts Fantasy Football League