Brad McQuaid, a longtime designer of massively multiplayer online role-playing games such as EverQuest and Vanguard: Saga of Heroes, launched a Kickstarter campaign today for his latest title, Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen.
McQuaid and his team at Visionary Realms describe Pantheon as a "group-focused MMORPG based on challenging gameplay and open-world high fantasy." The studio has already begun working on Pantheon — the Kickstarter page contains a few screenshots from a pre-alpha build of the game, and the pitch video includes some gameplay footage — and is asking for $800,000 to fund the rest of development until the initial release.
Stretch goals for the project begin at $1 million and run all the way up to $6.7 million, and include additional classes and game features. Backers will receive rewards in the form of unique in-game content and, in some cases, the ability to contribute game elements like item names and designs.
Visionary Realms is gearing Pantheon toward people who want challenging combat as well as an "intensely social game." Combat will be an active experience, with players able to block, dodge and deflect attacks, and preparing one's arsenal for particular enemies will be key.
"Hopefully you'll like what you see and find the game's design and focus both compelling and refreshing," said McQuaid, chief content officer at Visionary Realms. "That's really why Visionary Realms was formed, to re-empower both the developers and the players. You as the customer get the ultimate vote in whether we create this world and to what degree we implement our stretch goals."
Interested parties can check out the Kickstarter campaign for Pantheon here. The game is in development on Mac and Windows PC, and may be released on other platforms in the future.
- AM Radio: The Banksy of Second Life
- A video game rock opera that can be played on a PC or performed live in a concert hall
- The greed of AAA shooter publishers is chasing us into the arms of competitive MOBAs
- Cult film Sharknado is getting a video game spin-off on July 30
- Stop whatever you're doing and watch the end of the Matrix video game
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Mon July 7
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 14: Beast War-Riors
- Anime Expo 2014
- Awesome Cosplay at Anime Expo 2014 [ IMAGE HEAVY]
- Humble 2K Bundle: Win one of ten in our caption contest
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Wed July 9
- Polynauts World Cup forum betting game!
- Polynauts World Cup Discussion
- Stopping non article videos from auto playing.
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward