Three apparent clones of Number None, Inc's platform and puzzle video game, Braid, have made an appearance on Microsoft's Windows Store.
The three free games called Breid, Brady's Adventure and Braidy Jump feature assets resembling the original, such as Braid's protagonist Tim, painterly backgrounds and enemies. While the titles' gameplay largely consists of platforming it is not clear if they also feature Braid's rewind mechanic.
According to one game's description, Breid, players control a character called Taem who is "quite excited about get to the top of the tree." Players must destroy enemies and collect points on their journey to the highest point of the tree.
The Dutch indie studio Vlambeer — developer of numerous titles such as Luftrausers, Nuclear Throne, Ridiculous Fishing and Super Crate Box — is also susceptible to duplications as it usually releases a prototype of its game to the public for feedback. The development model opens the studio to clones of its games, such as Luftrausers clone SkyFar, an iOS action game, and Radical Fishing clone Ninja Fishing.
Update: A Microsoft spokesperson issued the following statement to Polygon:
“Microsoft respects the intellectual property rights of third parties and we ask that developers who distribute apps via our Store ensure their apps do not infringe the intellectual property of others. Microsoft provides an easy online process for developers to notify us if they believe their works are being infringed. Upon receipt of a complete notice, we act expeditiously to review the complaint and remove the app in appropriate circumstances.”
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 5: The where I yet again break the rules
- Contest: Want to go to the Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls launch party on March 24?
- More Pokémon Discussions: Redux
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: 100% Complete (Thu 6 Mar)
- How to make "South Park:Stick of Truth" more like Final Fantasy
- When Gameplay coincides with the story
- Owen Good, joining Polygon as senior reporter, weekends
- Dracul: Now not a Dick
- Post your Polygon Daily/Weekender headers here (March 2014)
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: Batman Returns (Wed 5 Mar)