Valve unveiled a new prototype of its Steam Controller at Steam Dev Days today, according to reports from attendees of the developer-only conference. The revised controller appears to have done away with the high resolution touchscreen shown in the Steam Controller's original unveiling, and rearranges some button placement.
Gone are the A, B, X and Y buttons that once sat at the corners of the touchscreen — the prototype that shipped with the Steam Machine beta featured a four quadrant touch pad — which appear to have been shifted into a more traditional cross pad-style layout. Also gone from the controller, based on a photo posted by Leszek Godlewski, are the three buttons that sat below the touchpad and brought up a Steam Big Picture overlay.
Developer Tomas Rawlings of Auroch Digital posted on Twitter that Valve said the touchscreen "was removed as ghost mode made it redundant," referring to the user interface overlay that showed Steam Controller input bindings.
According to reports from attendees, Valve has its new prototype on-hand and apparently playable in some form. On Instagram, Sergey Galyonkin of developer Nival posted a photo of a prototype of the new controller.
Last week, Valve brought the beta version of its Steam Controller to CES, and told Polygon that it was planning to make revisions to its hardware based on feedback from users and for manufacturing. The company plans to release its Steam Controller sometime this summer as Steam Machines roll out.
- Game of Thrones' Maisie Williams in talks for The Last of Us movie
- Proof '90s kids playing video games are cooler than kids today
- Win a trip to California and one-day design apprenticeship on Sunset Overdrive!
- Eve's new executive producer has a plan to attract new players with the help of old ones
- Last of Us Remastered Photo Mode screens go from brutal to kawaii
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Fri July 25
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.2: Silent Crusaders
- DESTINY disappointment?
- What's your favorite silly game?
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Really Horrible
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Thu July 24
- PLAYSTATION WONT SIGN IN
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.1: Silent Crusaders