Valve unveiled a new prototype of its Steam Controller at Steam Dev Days today, according to reports from attendees of the developer-only conference. The revised controller appears to have done away with the high resolution touchscreen shown in the Steam Controller's original unveiling, and rearranges some button placement.
Gone are the A, B, X and Y buttons that once sat at the corners of the touchscreen — the prototype that shipped with the Steam Machine beta featured a four quadrant touch pad — which appear to have been shifted into a more traditional cross pad-style layout. Also gone from the controller, based on a photo posted by Leszek Godlewski, are the three buttons that sat below the touchpad and brought up a Steam Big Picture overlay.
Developer Tomas Rawlings of Auroch Digital posted on Twitter that Valve said the touchscreen "was removed as ghost mode made it redundant," referring to the user interface overlay that showed Steam Controller input bindings.
According to reports from attendees, Valve has its new prototype on-hand and apparently playable in some form. On Instagram, Sergey Galyonkin of developer Nival posted a photo of a prototype of the new controller.
Last week, Valve brought the beta version of its Steam Controller to CES, and told Polygon that it was planning to make revisions to its hardware based on feedback from users and for manufacturing. The company plans to release its Steam Controller sometime this summer as Steam Machines roll out.
- Accused Airbnb squatter: 'Would squat again'
- The 'Mad Max: Fury Road' trailer is the most impressive thing to come out of Comic-Con
- San Diego Comic-Con 2014: All the news from pop culture's biggest event
- Shadowrun Returns gets a Director's Cut of its expansion this September
- Lucy Lawless: New Wonder Woman looks like 'Xena meets Spartacus'
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Mon July 28
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.2: Silent Crusaders
- Infamous Second Son: 2.5/5 For Me!
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Weekend at Polygon's: Open Thread - July 26-27
- RIP Friends List?
- my final thoughts on the DESTINY beta
- DESTINY disappointment?
- Really Horrible