Former Xbox multimedia executive Blair Westlake has resigned from Microsoft following what he describes as a change of direction in the company, Variety reports.
"It has become clear to me that the organization is moving in a direction that does not fit either my expertise or my skill sets," said Westlake in a statement, following 10 years with the company.
"Over the last few months Microsoft has been undergoing a large-scale reorganization. During that period, I have had the privilege of working with numerous talented and professional people. While I will miss their company and our interaction, I truly believe that this move is in the best interest of all parties concerned. I want to thank my talented and committed team, as well as Yusuf Mehdi, Robbie Bach, Will Poole and Hank Vigil, all of whom had a significant and positive impact on me during my tenure at Microsoft."
During his time with Microsoft, Westlake championed the company's focus on online entertainment and aided in transforming Xbox One into an entertainment hub for media beyond video games. Westlake didn't specify what aspects of Microsoft's new direction he felt unqualified for.
His resignation comes just over a year after the hiring of former CBS President Nancy Tellem who has since taken on the role of President of entertainment and digital media while overseeing the development of exclusive series and content on the Xbox consoles.
Microsoft is also in the process of hiring a new CEO to replace Steve Ballmer, whose retirement plans were announced last August.
Polygon has contacted Microsoft for additional information on where Westlake plans to go following his resignation and how this will affect the company.
- Female representation in gaming
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17 - Heart Containers
- Weekend at Pokégon's: Open Thread - Aug 23-24
- 'Goodbye Polygon,' said Frushtick
- Pokémon Discussions: Summer into Fall
- Pokegon Daily Open Thread: Double Sabre - Fri Aug 22
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- Polynauts Fantasy Football League
- What "Console Wars" taught me about myself and being a fanboy
- Anime You Might Not Have Tried/Heard of #9