Former Xbox multimedia executive Blair Westlake has resigned from Microsoft following what he describes as a change of direction in the company, Variety reports.
"It has become clear to me that the organization is moving in a direction that does not fit either my expertise or my skill sets," said Westlake in a statement, following 10 years with the company.
"Over the last few months Microsoft has been undergoing a large-scale reorganization. During that period, I have had the privilege of working with numerous talented and professional people. While I will miss their company and our interaction, I truly believe that this move is in the best interest of all parties concerned. I want to thank my talented and committed team, as well as Yusuf Mehdi, Robbie Bach, Will Poole and Hank Vigil, all of whom had a significant and positive impact on me during my tenure at Microsoft."
During his time with Microsoft, Westlake championed the company's focus on online entertainment and aided in transforming Xbox One into an entertainment hub for media beyond video games. Westlake didn't specify what aspects of Microsoft's new direction he felt unqualified for.
His resignation comes just over a year after the hiring of former CBS President Nancy Tellem who has since taken on the role of President of entertainment and digital media while overseeing the development of exclusive series and content on the Xbox consoles.
Microsoft is also in the process of hiring a new CEO to replace Steve Ballmer, whose retirement plans were announced last August.
Polygon has contacted Microsoft for additional information on where Westlake plans to go following his resignation and how this will affect the company.
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: Prepare to Die (Tues 11 Mar)
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 5: The where I yet again break the rules
- This is why we can't have nice things.
- Mobile Marketing Tips
- More Pokémon Discussions: Redux
- Owen Good, joining Polygon as senior reporter, weekends
- Prepare for Titanfall (Xbox One)
- Why no wireless chat with Xbox One Headsets?
- Contest: Want to go to the Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls launch party on March 24?
- WTB physical DS2 for PC in US