Microsoft's new Xbox One was the bestselling console in the United States during the month of December, according to NPD Group data, selling more than 908,000 units in its second month on the market.
While Microsoft publicly released NPD sales numbers for the month, Sony Computer Entertainment declined to provide specific data, saying in a statement, "PlayStation 4 remains the cumulative leader for next gen console sales in the U.S. since the launch on November 15. We sold every PS4 available at retail in the U.S. and were out of stock in December due to overwhelming consumer demand."
Both console platforms trailed behind the Nintendo 3DS, which according to a statement from Nintendo was the bestselling video game system for the month. It was also the bestselling system for the year, bringing the 3DS' total U.S. install base to more than 11.5 million units.
Nintendo also released updated cumulative sales data for a handful of Nintendo 3DS software titles, including Pokémon X (1.63 million), Pokémon Y (1.54 million), Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon (1.21 million) and Animal Crossing: New Leaf (1.1 million).
The company did not provide sales data for Wii U, though NPD Group analyst Liam Callaham said December marked the console's highest month for unit sales month so far.
According to NPD data, the bestselling games during the month of December were led by Call of Duty: Ghosts, Battlefield 4 and Just Dance 2014. The year's overall bestseller was Grand Theft Auto 5.
Microsoft also sold more than 643,000 Xbox 360 consoles in December, the company said. Combined, the two Xbox platforms brought in more than $1.39 billion in revenue in the U.S. during the month.
- No skin thick enough: The daily harassment of women in the game industry
- The studio that made Tony Hawk's Pro Skater closed, here's its billion-dollar story
- Dark Souls 2: Crown of the Sunken King review: return of the king
- How the Model T convinced Nvidia to build a gaming-focused tablet
- Fan-made Smash Bros. has better characters
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Tue July 22
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.1: Silent Crusaders
- Deals With Gold Weekly(?) Update
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- What's your favorite silly game?
- What worlds will we explore in Destiny?
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Thoughts on Destiny
- Yakuza 5 (Ryū ga Gotoku 5) Fan Translation Gone?