Valve believes consumer-ready virtual technology invested by the company is another two years away, according attendees at the developer-only Steam Dev Days conference, and is working with Oculus Rift "to drive PC VR forward."
The company also revealed that it currently has no plans to produce its own VR hardware, instead marking Oculus Rift as "the obvious candidate" to ship Valve-invested VR tech. Valve collaborated with Oculus on the tracking for the Crystal Cove prototype headset and will continue to work with the company. Claiming that "the PC will be the hotbed for VR," Valve believes that Linux, Windows PC and Mac will be the "VR epicenter."
According to Tweets from conference attendee Dave Oshry, the company estimates that by 2015 Valve-invested, consumer-ready VR will feature 20 ms motion-to-last latency, 3 ms pixel persistence, 95 Hz refresh rate, 1K x 1K resolution per eye and more.
Valve's Steam Client Beta received an experimental VR mode earlier this week, allowing Oculus Rift virtual reality headset users to interact with Steam's Big Picture Mode. It was reported last week that Valve will launch a VR software development kit during its conference that will offer developers a standardized way of creating an interface for VR controllers.
- State of Decay's Lifeline DLC is just the start of Undead Labs' 'long-term ambitions'
- Why the makers of Guacamelee decided to make a touch game about a one-armed woman
- Political-based strategy game ReignMaker now available for PC via Steam
- Minecraft, Plants vs. Zombies, Street Fighter vets and more designing Magic 2015 cards
- MLB The Show's neatest trick was not as easy as it looks
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 8: GOLDEN CRISIS
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: Easter Monday MMXIV (Mon 21 April)
- Weekend at Polygon's: Party Time (19-20 April)
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- What characters would you guys like to see on the new Super Smash Bros?
- Does anyone else's NBA 2K14 audio cut out?
- Game contoller for PC
- Polygon Feast & Fitness Vol. 3
- Darkest Polygon: Lets start a Polygon Dark Souls 2 covenant
- Polygon Connect: The Great "Gamertag/PSN ID/Whatever" Roundup