Call of Duty: Ghosts and Skylanders Swap Force took the No. 1 and No. 2 spots, respectively, on the U.S. sales chart for December 2013, publisher Activision announced today, citing data from the NPD Group.
Ghosts came in as the top-selling game of the month, and ended up as the best-selling title of 2013 on both Xbox One and PlayStation 4. Infinity Ward's first-person shooter extended the Call of Duty franchise's streak of being the top franchise of the year in the U.S. (in both units sold and dollars) to five consecutive years.
Including revenue from software, toys and accessories, Swap Force (screenshot above) was the No. 2 best-selling game of December, which helped make the Skylanders series the top-selling kids video game franchise in the U.S. for the second year in a row. In addition, the Skylanders series ended up in the No. 3 spot on the list of 2013's best-selling franchises overall.
"This consumer response to both Call of Duty: Ghosts and Skylanders speaks to the deep connection both franchises have made with fans, which fuels our commitment to delivering great games time and again," said Eric Hirshberg, CEO of Activision Publishing, in a press release today.
According to the NPD Group's report on U.S. video game sales for December, the month's top-selling titles were, in order, Ghosts, Electronic Arts' Battlefield 4 and Ubisoft's Just Dance 2014. In software sales alone, Swap Force came in at No. 10 on the list.
Activision executives said last February that they expected sales of 2013's Call of Duty title (later revealed to be Ghosts) to be lower than those of the previous year's entry in the franchise, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2. A day after Ghosts' release last November, the company announced launch-day sales into retail of more than $1 billion, but provided no comparison to sales of Black Ops 2.
- Persona 5 coming to PS3 and PS4 in 2015
- Madden 15's outspoken cover star loses with grace in his very first game
- Nearly 1K developers sign letter to end intolerance in the games community
- How a video game helped save my sanity
- Resident Evil Revelations 2 coming 'early 2015'
- Is Telltale teasing the setting for its new Game of Thrones series?
- Dragon Quest 7 3DS remake may not be worth the cost for Square to translate
- Final Fantasy Type-0 HD is a mature, 'true remaster' of the original game
- See how World of Warcraft's other side lives
- Saints Row developer: 'Sarkeesian is right'