The SmileGate-developed release took in $950 million compared to Riot Games' $624 million, with the remainder of the Top 10 most popular free-to-play titles including titles from Nexon, Electronic Arts and Blizard.
Nexon's free-to-play fantasy title Dungeon Fighter Online came in third place with $426 million in revenue, followed by World of Warcraft which took in $372 million. According to the data, Star Wars: The Old Republic generated $138 million following Electronic Art's decision to move away from its earlier subscription model.
The report notes that the digital free-to-play sector grew by 45 percent in the U.S. last year, reaching $2.9 billion, with earnings from subscription-based games droppoing 21 percent to $1.1 billion.
- Editorial idea for Polygon
- Looking for good JRPGs on PS3, help needed
- Woady Reviews Anime: Whisper of the Heart
- Thoughts on the inaccurate sensor bar
- Polygon Daily Open Thread: Personable - Mon Sep 1
- Pokémon Discussions: Summer into Fall
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17.1 - Woady call me kōhai!
- Weekend at Polygon's: Open Thread - Aug 30-31
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Reconsidering Columbine