The SmileGate-developed release took in $950 million compared to Riot Games' $624 million, with the remainder of the Top 10 most popular free-to-play titles including titles from Nexon, Electronic Arts and Blizard.
Nexon's free-to-play fantasy title Dungeon Fighter Online came in third place with $426 million in revenue, followed by World of Warcraft which took in $372 million. According to the data, Star Wars: The Old Republic generated $138 million following Electronic Art's decision to move away from its earlier subscription model.
The report notes that the digital free-to-play sector grew by 45 percent in the U.S. last year, reaching $2.9 billion, with earnings from subscription-based games droppoing 21 percent to $1.1 billion.
- Weekend at Polygon's: Party Time (19-20 April)
- Is Polygon Live discontinued?
- Darkest Polygon: Lets start a Polygon Dark Souls 2 covenant
- NVIDIA GeForce Titan For Gaming?!
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: Public Holidays = Relax! (Fri 18 Apr)
- Looking for Game Suggestions
- inFamous Screenshot Potluck Extravaganza!
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 8: GOLDEN CRISIS
- Post Your Rig!