The SmileGate-developed release took in $950 million compared to Riot Games' $624 million, with the remainder of the Top 10 most popular free-to-play titles including titles from Nexon, Electronic Arts and Blizard.
Nexon's free-to-play fantasy title Dungeon Fighter Online came in third place with $426 million in revenue, followed by World of Warcraft which took in $372 million. According to the data, Star Wars: The Old Republic generated $138 million following Electronic Art's decision to move away from its earlier subscription model.
The report notes that the digital free-to-play sector grew by 45 percent in the U.S. last year, reaching $2.9 billion, with earnings from subscription-based games droppoing 21 percent to $1.1 billion.
- Pokegon Daily Open Thread - Wed Aug 20
- Polygon Video Player - What's the deal?
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17 - Heart Containers
- Pokémon Discussions: Summer into Fall
- What's a good game for a 65-year old first time gamer?
- Polynauts Fantasy Football League
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 16.2: Chris Houlihan was here. Shhhhhhhhhh, its a secret to everyone.
- Pokégon Daily Open Thread - Tue Aug 19
- Feature to track games?
- The Last of Us 2 for PS4?