The SmileGate-developed release took in $950 million compared to Riot Games' $624 million, with the remainder of the Top 10 most popular free-to-play titles including titles from Nexon, Electronic Arts and Blizard.
Nexon's free-to-play fantasy title Dungeon Fighter Online came in third place with $426 million in revenue, followed by World of Warcraft which took in $372 million. According to the data, Star Wars: The Old Republic generated $138 million following Electronic Art's decision to move away from its earlier subscription model.
The report notes that the digital free-to-play sector grew by 45 percent in the U.S. last year, reaching $2.9 billion, with earnings from subscription-based games droppoing 21 percent to $1.1 billion.
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: Prepared for Titanfall? (Mon 10 Mar)
- Polygon v1.9 - Article Redesign
- WTB physical DS2 for PC in US
- More Pokémon Discussions: Redux
- PD Users: Defined at Last! (Humour)
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 5: The where I yet again break the rules
- Prepare for Titanfall (Xbox One)
- Game development
- Getting a PS4
- When can I buy this digitally for Xbox One?