One million players entered the unforgiving wilderness of Klei Entertainment's Don't Starve "well before" 2013 came to a close, the developer told Edge Online.
The adventure survival title, which launched for Windows PC, Mac and Linux last April, hit PlayStation 4 as a free PlayStation Plus title earlier this month. According to Klei, the number of Don't Starve players has now exceeded one million, and the studio hopes this will mean high sales of the title's upcoming DLC, Reign of Giants.
"With PlayStation Plus, beyond promotion of being a featured game, a lot of people who maybe wouldn't have tried our game did [try it] and really enjoyed it," Klei community manager Corey Rollins said. "Some of those people went on to check out the PC version as well, and would maybe be interested in the upcoming DLC."
Rollins said Klei is looking to bring Don't Starve to additional platforms, including "a proper Via version" and a port for mobile. There are no plans right now to work on a sequel to Don't Stave, or Klei's other titles like Mark of the Ninja. Rather, Klei is moving forward with new ideas and its currently in-progress title, Invisible, Inc.
"To be honest, we really like doing new things," Rollins said. "We like to explore new things and challenge ourselves. We've done everything from puzzle games, to 2D brawlers, to stealth, and now survival with Don't Starve. We feel pretty strongly about not doing sequels unless you have something really new to bring to table. It's definitely a possibility, but we'll need to take some time to think about the best way to revisit [Don't Starve] if we do."
- Help Nipah build a PC
- Nintendo Customer Service
- Weekend at Polygon's: Open Thread - Aug 30-31
- Kingdom of Amalur - 10$ was the best deal ever
- I'm going to make an AMV...and I need your help.
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Fri Aug 29
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17.1 - Woady call me kōhai!
- Pokémon Discussions: Summer into Fall
- Woady Reviews Anime: Bleach the Movie: Hell Verse
- Calling all first team Polygon staff to the Set!