One million players entered the unforgiving wilderness of Klei Entertainment's Don't Starve "well before" 2013 came to a close, the developer told Edge Online.
The adventure survival title, which launched for Windows PC, Mac and Linux last April, hit PlayStation 4 as a free PlayStation Plus title earlier this month. According to Klei, the number of Don't Starve players has now exceeded one million, and the studio hopes this will mean high sales of the title's upcoming DLC, Reign of Giants.
"With PlayStation Plus, beyond promotion of being a featured game, a lot of people who maybe wouldn't have tried our game did [try it] and really enjoyed it," Klei community manager Corey Rollins said. "Some of those people went on to check out the PC version as well, and would maybe be interested in the upcoming DLC."
Rollins said Klei is looking to bring Don't Starve to additional platforms, including "a proper Via version" and a port for mobile. There are no plans right now to work on a sequel to Don't Stave, or Klei's other titles like Mark of the Ninja. Rather, Klei is moving forward with new ideas and its currently in-progress title, Invisible, Inc.
"To be honest, we really like doing new things," Rollins said. "We like to explore new things and challenge ourselves. We've done everything from puzzle games, to 2D brawlers, to stealth, and now survival with Don't Starve. We feel pretty strongly about not doing sequels unless you have something really new to bring to table. It's definitely a possibility, but we'll need to take some time to think about the best way to revisit [Don't Starve] if we do."
- Sony agrees to $15M settlement in 2011 data breach class action
- Dwarf Fortress will crush your CPU because creating history is hard
- No skin thick enough: The daily harassment of women in the game industry
- Launching Civilization: Beyond Earth
- Final Fantasy designer Tetsuya Nomura shows his extreme take on Batman
More from Polygon
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.1: Silent Crusaders
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Wed July 23
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- A New Steam Controller
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Spare PS4 Beta Codes
- DESTINY disappointment?
- 25 character code not working on Xbox1
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Tue July 22