Publisher Idea Factory will bring Monster Monpiece, a strategic card battle game, to PlayStation Vita in North America and Europe later this year, but will cut down on the game's "strong sexual nature" by removing certain cards, the company said today.
Monster Monpiece features a card-based battle system that revolves around Monster Girl cards. Players level up cards by rubbing the screen — which often results in removed articles of clothing — to "send magic power into the cards." According to the publisher, the decision to remove certain elements was "a tough decision," and that gameplay and storyline will remain intact.
"Idea Factory International strives to localize and publish Idea Factory titles with the same content as their Japanese releases," the company said. "Here is the list of Monster Girls whose images have been limited to that of their level 1, 2 or 3 evolution form due to the strong sexual nature of the card images: Vampire, Kraken, Goblin, Cockatrice, Kobold, Skeleton, Titania, Bahamut, Fia, Brownie, Pegasus, Mandragora, Mau Sibau, Rafflesia, Death Scorpion, Phantom and Tengu.
"We fully understand that there are needs and demands for the complete version of these games. Our intention and motivation is to offer Idea Factory titles in a form that is as close as possible to the Japanese versions."
Monster Monpiece is expected to launch via the PlayStation Network this spring.
- San Diego Comic-Con 2014: All the news from pop culture's biggest event
- Bravely Default outshines modern Final Fantasy titles by selling one million units
- Here's the opening to that Bayonetta anime they've been talking about forever
- Hearthstone dev invents stories that tell themselves
- Learn how to copy, and know when to steal
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Mon July 28
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Infamous Second Son: 2.5/5 For Me!
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.2: Silent Crusaders
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- Weekend at Polygon's: Open Thread - July 26-27
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- RIP Friends List?
- my final thoughts on the DESTINY beta
- DESTINY disappointment?