Square Enix released a new trailer for Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy 13 today providing further details on the title's combat system, which requires players to strategically manipulate their wardrobe and weapon stats to take down opponents.
Battle in Lighting Returns is more action-oriented than its predecessors, Final Fantasy 13 and Final Fantasy 13-2, which both used variants of the franchise's active time-battle system and job class-like Paradigms. The Paradigm system allows players to switch between classes during battle — from healer to warrior and so on — and this has been replaced in Lightning Returns with a dynamic wardrobe system. The video above shows how players can customize their outfits and weapons with specific abilities and buffs, and how they can switch them on the fly during combat.
The video also shows how and when players can guard themselves against enemies or evade them altogether, a useful strategy for when continuous straightforward attacks won't work. Players can take down enemies quicker by Staggering them, a recurring feature in the Final Fantasy 13 games that requires certain conditions to be met in battle in order to break down an opponent's defenses.
Lighting Returns: Final Fantasy 13 will launch on Feb. 11 for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360. A demo is currently available on both platforms.
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17 - Heart Containers
- Pokegon Daily Open Thread - Wed Aug 20
- The Last of Us 2 for PS4?
- Why isn't Polygon talking about the Quinn thing ?
- Share your treasured Pokémon stories with us
- Polygon Video Player - What's the deal?
- Polynauts Fantasy Football League
- Metro Redux: Will It Be A Must Purchase?
- Could Nintendo go third party?
- Pokémon Discussions: Summer into Fall