South Park: The Stick of Truth began not at a video game developer but at South Park Digital Studios with series creators Matt Stone and Trey Parker.
About four years ago, the duo wanted to create a South Park role-playing game on systems that could reproduce the look of "authentic crappiness" that the TV show is known for, according to Stone. They wrote the story and took it to video game studios to develop, a relationship that began with publisher THQ and developer Vigil and ended with publisher Ubisoft and developer Obsidian Entertainment.
Press play above to see and hear the occasionally NSFW video for South Park: The Stick of Truth, which is headed to PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and Windows PC March 4.
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Tue July 29
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Mon July 28
- Infamous Second Son: 2.5/5 For Me!
- What's your favorite silly game?
- my final thoughts on the DESTINY beta
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.2: Silent Crusaders
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Tell Us Your Story
- Have you heard of Toki's Magic Wand???
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today