Film director Neill Blomkamp, best known for his work on the documentary-styled sci-fi release District 9, will direct the pilot episode of the upcoming Halo television series slated to come to Xbox One, according to a report from the film publication Latino Review.
Blomkamp was previously attached to direct a feature film based on the game franchise following the development of a series of live-action promotional shorts for Halo 3 in 2007. The film was eventually canned following studio disputes. The director has since said he would likely not return to the film project if it was offered to him.
The television series was first announced last year in partnership between developer 343 Industries and producer Steven Spielberg; however, the production has remained quiet since its reveal.
"I think much like Halo begat the Xbox," Microsoft Studios' Phil Spencer told Polygon at the time, "I think the Halo TV series can have a pretty dramatic impact on how people think about television."
Polygon has contacted Microsoft for confirmation on Blomkamp's role.
- What does it really cost to open an indie studio? All your money, most of your life
- Divinity: Original Sin review: next to godliness
- If Sony wants PlayStation Now to succeed, it has to treat us better than GameStop
- How well does PlayStation Now work on PS4?
- Police: San Diego Comic-Con cosplayer wasn't assaulted, she fell
More from Polygon
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.3: Summer Crusaders
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Thu July 31
- Hi, nice to meet you.
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- What's your favorite silly game?
- Do you often read the reviews after finishing a game?
- Wait. Could the iPad Mini be a better gaming handheld than the PSVita?
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- Stopping non article videos from auto playing.
- Xbox One Update Beta Invites