1 Vs. 100, part massive, interactive live trivia game show, part Xbox 360 video game, may never return, but Microsoft does plan to bring something like it to the Xbox One, according to Dave McCarthy, general manager for Lifestyle Entertainment at Microsoft Studios.
"It has a good image here," he told Polygon in a recent interview. "The approach is something we really enjoyed. We will do something in the future for Xbox One that is like that, because spiritually we thought it was a pretty cool experience ourselves."
In 2010, McCarthy was the one who had to announce the demise of the game which had players taking each other on in a live, massive trivia contest through the console. At the time, McCarthy said that the team knew they were creating an "entirely new genre of entertainment that would be a continually evolving concept."
During the beta season for the show more than 114,000 people played the game on Live simultaneously. That tech, McCarthy said at the time, would be used for future concepts.
As general manager for Lifestyle Entertainment at Microsoft Studios, McCarthy is responsible for helping to develop new projects that can broaden the usage of Microsoft devices and services. For now, that includes Xbox Fitness and Project Spark.
McCarthy said that the team and Microsoft look "fondly back on 1 vs. 100."
"The notion of bringing a large number of people together in both a social and let's say a more casual gaming format is something we believe in a lot," he said. "In some ways 1 vs. 100 was a little bit ahead of its time. From a production perspective it gave us a few challenges in terms of the sheer effort to bring that to market on a regular basis."
- Proof '90s kids playing video games are cooler than kids today
- Win a trip to California and one-day design apprenticeship on Sunset Overdrive!
- Eve's new executive producer has a plan to attract new players with the help of old ones
- Game of Thrones' Maisie Williams in talks for The Last of Us movie
- Lords of the Fallen pre-orders get free upgrade to Limited Edition
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Fri July 25
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Thu July 24
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.2: Silent Crusaders
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- What's your favorite silly game?
- DESTINY disappointment?
- PLAYSTATION WONT SIGN IN
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.1: Silent Crusaders
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Women in Games: A Reaction