Mario Kart 8 will launch for the Wii U in May, Nintendo president Satoru Iwata announced today during a briefing in Japan.
Iwata did not specify which region the May date applies to. We've reached out to Nintendo and will update accordingly. Previously, the game had a general launch of this spring. Mario Kart 8 is the first entry to be released for the Wii U; it will introduce new elements such as anti-gravity. Featured locations include courses set in jungle ruins, deserts and the clouds, while players will be able to take control of franchise favorites.
For more on the game, check out our hands-on preview from E3 2013. Nintendo's previous entry, Mario Kart 7, was released for the Nintendo 3DS in December 2011.
Update: A Nintendo representative confirmed to Polygon that the May release is global.
In This StoryStream
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: Do Polynauts dream of analog sheep? (Fri 7 Mar)
- Polygon Off-Topic Weekender: We broke 1K! (8-9 March)
- XBOne Classifieds
- Is there anyone who doesnt like Titanfall?
- More Pokémon Discussions: Redux
- PD Users: Defined at Last! (Humour)
- Contest: Want to go to the Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls launch party on March 24?
- Post your Polygon Daily/Weekender headers here (March 2014)
- When Gameplay coincides with the story
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 5: The where I yet again break the rules