The Western localization of Nintendo 3DS title Bravely Default: Flying Fairy includes less-revealing versions of costumes, among other edits made to tone-down the game's more mature content, according to a post on the IGN forums.
Forum user "BangSilverGang" posted a set of screenshots comparing two costumes' original Japanese and Western versions. The Western versions on the left are less revealing than their counterparts on the right. Additionally, the user reports that some characters' ages have been changed from 15 to 18 and some dialogue including sexual innuendos has been removed after translation. The Final Fantasy Wiki further corroborates statements of age changes, noting some characters who are 17 in the Japanese version are now 20 for the Western release.
The images appear in the European version of the game and "BangSilverGang" reports the changes do not appear to affect the storyline.
Bravely Default: Flying Fairy launched in the region last month and is slated to launch in North America on Feb. 7. Bravely Default has a rating of Cero C, which is 15-plus, in Japan, while the title is rating T for Teen in North America.
This is not the first time a costume has been edited for modesty during localization of a 3DS title. The original Japanese version of Fire Emblem: Awakening's DLC mission "Summer Scramble" included a scene where a female character's backside was explicitly shown. For the Western release of the game, the view was obscured by a piece of cloth edited into the scene.
Polygon has reached out to both developer Square Enix and Nintendo for more details and will share information as we receive it.
- Pokegon Daily Open Thread - Wed Aug 20
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17 - Heart Containers
- Polynauts Fantasy Football League
- Polygon Video Player - What's the deal?
- Pokémon Discussions: Summer into Fall
- What's a good game for a 65-year old first time gamer?
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 16.2: Chris Houlihan was here. Shhhhhhhhhh, its a secret to everyone.
- Pokégon Daily Open Thread - Tue Aug 19
- Feature to track games?
- The Last of Us 2 for PS4?