The Western localization of Nintendo 3DS title Bravely Default: Flying Fairy includes less-revealing versions of costumes, among other edits made to tone-down the game's more mature content, according to a post on the IGN forums.
Forum user "BangSilverGang" posted a set of screenshots comparing two costumes' original Japanese and Western versions. The Western versions on the left are less revealing than their counterparts on the right. Additionally, the user reports that some characters' ages have been changed from 15 to 18 and some dialogue including sexual innuendos has been removed after translation. The Final Fantasy Wiki further corroborates statements of age changes, noting some characters who are 17 in the Japanese version are now 20 for the Western release.
The images appear in the European version of the game and "BangSilverGang" reports the changes do not appear to affect the storyline.
Bravely Default: Flying Fairy launched in the region last month and is slated to launch in North America on Feb. 7. Bravely Default has a rating of Cero C, which is 15-plus, in Japan, while the title is rating T for Teen in North America.
This is not the first time a costume has been edited for modesty during localization of a 3DS title. The original Japanese version of Fire Emblem: Awakening's DLC mission "Summer Scramble" included a scene where a female character's backside was explicitly shown. For the Western release of the game, the view was obscured by a piece of cloth edited into the scene.
Polygon has reached out to both developer Square Enix and Nintendo for more details and will share information as we receive it.
- PlayStation Network slowly coming back to life after hack attack
- Best of the rest of 2014: Destiny, the most interesting game of the year
- Polygon's Games of the Year 2014 #6: Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft
- The Interview was pirated more than 750,000 times in its first day of release
- A Super Smash Bros-style Hunger Games makes a lot of sense
- Weekend at Polygon's: Off-Topic: Tacogon Weekend ( Sat-Sun 27-28/12 )
- Clans of Polygon: What's going on in Destiny? (Nov - Dec)
- The Ending of Dragon Age: Inquisition (!Spoilers obviously!)
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 3, No 5- Terror and Mystery in the Western Frontier
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: Boxed Day (Friday, Dec. 26)
- Pokémon Discussions - Primal Evolution Ain't Cheap
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: 2463 (Thursday, Dec. 25)
- Toradora Christmas Club
- Polygon Daily: Off-Topic: T'was the Eve Before Christmas ( Wed 24/12 )
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 3, No. 4.1 - 'Tis the Week Before...