NFL Now, a streaming video service that will allow football fans to receive NFL updates tailored to the teams and players they're interested in, will be available this summer on Xbox One ahead of the 2014 NFL season, Microsoft announced today.
Roger Goodell, commissioner of the NFL, unveiled NFL Now during a press briefing in New York earlier today. The service will stream NFL video through the web to computers, as well as via apps on Windows, iOS, Android and Xbox One. NFL Now won't stream NFL games; instead, it will offer news, highlights and analysis from every NFL team as well as NFL Films, NFL Network and fantasy football.
Users of NFL Now will be able to set their favorite teams, players and video, and then receive updates about those subjects through the app. NFL Now isn't just for updates on the latest NFL news, however: According to Microsoft and the NFL, the service will also deliver "access to the deepest vault of on-demand NFL video content available anywhere."
"The growth in video consumption habits on internet-connected devices, whether smartphones, tablets, PCs or consoles, makes the creation of NFL Now the logical next step in the evolution of NFL Media," said Brian Rolapp, chief operating officer of NFL Media, in a press release today.
NFL Now will be available in an ad-supported free version as well as through a monthly subscription, NFL Now Plus, the details of which have yet to be revealed. Last year, Microsoft and the NFL announced a partnership, reportedly worth $400 million over five years, that made the Surface the league's official tablet and the Xbox One its official gaming console. The deal also provided for the NFL on Xbox One app, which already delivers a wealth of NFL content to Xbox One owners.
- Towerfall Ascension review: bowstring symphony
- The final years of Irrational Games, according to those who were there
- Ouya may not be dead, but its long history of stumbles makes success unlikely
- When a successful game is a failure
- Star Wars: The Old Republic trailer teases housing far, far away
- RI senator denied access to 38 Studios case documents
- Why Watch Dogs went into hiding
- The Besties: The Best Games of February 2014
- Mobile puzzler series The Room has sold more than 5.4M copies
- Goofball Goals - Overview video
- PD Users: Defined at Last! (Humour)
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: Do Polynauts dream of analog sheep? (Fri 7 Mar)
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 5: The where I yet again break the rules
- Dracul: Now not a Dick
- When Gameplay coincides with the story
- Contest: Want to go to the Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls launch party on March 24?
- Welcome to the Polygon Community!
- Which FPS are you most looking forward to in 2014?
- Owen Good, joining Polygon as senior reporter, weekends
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: 100% Complete (Thu 6 Mar)