Linux, Mac and Windows PC users can now grab Uber Entertainment's real-time strategy game, Planetary Annihilation, at a permanently discounted price of $49.99 from the Uber Store, Steam and Humble Store, according to an update from the developer.
The game entered beta via digital distribution platforms such as Steam Early Access in September for $59.99. Usually games that are released through early access programs — which allow gamers to purchase and play games before completion — increase in price as developers improve the game's quality.
"For us, these kinds of permanent price drops are symbolic of the strides we've made with the core Planetary Annihilation experience," the post reads. "Since the debut of beta and its monstrous feature set, we've targeted the game's feel and polish."
The beta features the ability to use planets as bases, as well as "colonize asteroids, strap rockets to them, and launch them into your opponent's planets." War machines include naval, air, ground and orbital craft, such as tanks, jets, subs, bots, orbital units and battleships. As well as a single player mode, the beta's multiplayer supports up to 10 players in free-for-all and team-based matches.
Upcoming beta features include multiplayer battles involving up to 40 players, order queuing interface and scalable galactic wars. The ability to play on private servers or offline will be introduced down the track.
Originally set to launch last month, Planetary Annihilation was pushed back until Uber felt "confident about its level of polish and the amount of awesome we can jam into it." It is now expected to roll out early 2014, published by Nordic Games.
Uber launched a Kickstarter campaign last year to raise funds for Planetary Annihilation, where its lowest tier to offer early access began at $40. The project attracted more than $2.2 million in pledges, exceeding its initial $900,000 funding goal.
- Madden 15 review: victory formation
- Sarkeesian driven out of home by online abuse and death threats
- Inside a video game voiceover studio
- Quake Live is changing, in part to find a wider audience on Steam
- SWAT threat locks down school, gets Counter-Strike player slammed to the ground
- A lightning tour of Infamous: First Light's scaled-down scope
- Dark Souls 2: Crown of the Old Iron King - A spoiler-free guide
- What's exclusive to the PlayStation versions of Destiny?
- Amazon and Twitch are the competitors YouTube needs
- Help us choose the best reader-designed Sunset Overdrive character
- On Patreon support
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17.1 - Woady call me kōhai!
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Wed Aug 27
- Pokémon Discussions: Summer into Fall
- Spacecom is 4X strategy, and you can grab beta keys here
- Where to buy?
- Favorite "Bad" Game
- Polygon must change its ethics policy.
- Games with great Sound Design
- Post your Weekend at Polygon/Daily headers here (August 2014)