A "re-imagining" of the Hitman franchise for next-gen and current-gen consoles in development at Square Enix Montreal was quietly canceled last year, according to the LinkedIn profile of senior game designer Richard Knight.
Knight's profile lists the game as "Hitman Project (Next-Gen Consoles/Current Gen/PC) — Canceled." The LinkedIn profile of designer Heath Smith states the game, which was announced as in-development back in 2011, would be a "re-imagining" of the series and include both first-person and third-person combat sequences. Network engineer Anthony Pressacco also suggests on his profile that the next-gen Hitman title would have included online leaderboard support and microtransactions.
Last June, along with the announcement of leadership changes at Square Enix Montreal, the studio revealed a new AAA Hitman title was in the works with Square Enix subsidiary IO Interactive. The Montreal studio also announced it would begin shifting focus to mobile development.
Additionally, Smith's profile lists an "unannounced AAA third-person action adventure" title for Playstation 4 and Xbox One. This could be the next-gen Deus Ex title in development with Eidos Montreal, which the studio announced was in the pipeline last October.
Update: A representative from Square Enix told Polygon that a new Hitman game is in development at IO Interactive, while Square Enix Montreal will stick to its plan of focusing on mobile.
"Io-Interactive is developing a new, AAA Hitman game that will be coming to PC and next-gen consoles and Square Enix Montreal is fully focused on mobile development of games some of which are related to the Hitman franchise," the representative said. "We look forward to sharing more details about these titles later this year."
We asked what game Knight was talking about specifically and if there was any possibility it meant the project had switched hands from Square Enix Montreal to IO. We will share more details as we have them.
- OlliOlli developer Roll7's next trick, the kill combo-based shoot 'em up Not A Hero
- MLB The Show's neatest trick was not as easy as it looks
- See The Fifth Element imagined as a 16-bit video game
- Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn on PS4 - Overview video
- Conception 2 review: bad romance
- Nintendo co-sponsors annual White House Easter Egg Roll
- Fan-made Morrowind restoration will feature two hours of original music
- My mother made me a gamer, and gave me the skills to deal with her death
- Batman's new animated feature is based on the Arkham Asylum series
- Guild Wars' nine year anniversary festivities kick off April 22
- Weekend at Polygon's: Party Time (19-20 April)
- Is Polygon Live discontinued?
- Darkest Polygon: Lets start a Polygon Dark Souls 2 covenant
- NVIDIA GeForce Titan For Gaming?!
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: Public Holidays = Relax! (Fri 18 Apr)
- Looking for Game Suggestions
- inFamous Screenshot Potluck Extravaganza!
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 8: GOLDEN CRISIS
- Post Your Rig!