Awesome Games Done Quick 2014, a livestreamed marathon of speed runs that is raising money for cancer research, is currently taking place through Jan. 11.
Interested parties can watch the stream on Twitch and donate via PayPal, with the funds going to the Prevent Cancer Foundation. Last year, Awesome Games Done Quick raised more than $400,000, and this year's goal is $500,000. For whatever the stream's maximum concurrent viewership ends up being, Twitch will donate $50 per 1,000 viewers, with the donation topping out at $5,000 if the stream gets to 100,000 viewers. The marathon, which began Jan. 5, has pulled in just under $80,000 as of this writing.
The combined running time of the speed runs totals more than 157 hours, with players breezing through more than 115 titles such as both Half-Life games, both Portal games, Contra, Grand Theft Auto: Vice City and Chrono Trigger. You can see the full schedule here.
- How cows predicted the seedy underbelly of social gaming
- Win a trip to California and one-day design apprenticeship on Sunset Overdrive!
- Eve's new executive producer has a plan to attract new players with the help of old ones
- GTA 4 now looks as good as GTA 5 — if you have a PC
- Proof '90s kids playing video games are cooler than kids today