Sony Online Entertainment is currently considering an amendment to its subscription model that would allow users to access all games under one payment, SOE president John Smedley announced via Reddit's PlanetSide 2 subreddit.
The model would only apply to PC titles, but would be available for $14.99 a month.
"We are considering (and are likely going to move forward with) a plan that means if you subscribe to one of our games you are a subscriber to all our games," Smedley wrote. "That's a benefit most companies simply can't offer because they don't have our portfolio of games. The goal would be to let you pick an item in each game you play."
According to Smedley, the change would help players obtain larger items on the marketplace, deal with currency balances for inactive players and fix the disparity between SOE's console and PC titles.
"We can't do the same kind of promotions as easily on the PS3 and PS4," Smedley wrote. "We're a lot more limited because we can't use Station Cash on there. So when we have a 3x sale on SC we have to do something different for our console titles. It's a pain in the neck to deal with this."
For those that only play a specific game, the benefit is still there. According to Smedley, the company has "a great lineup of games," some of which have not yet been announced. SOE will also offer refunds to players with remaining subscriptions for those not interested in the new system.
SOE subscriptions will still be offered at discounted rates for those that enroll in three, six or 12-month plans.
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: Prepared for Titanfall? (Mon 10 Mar)
- How is Battlefield 4 on PC
- When can I buy this digitally for Xbox One?
- Prepare for Titanfall (Xbox One)
- Owen Good, joining Polygon as senior reporter, weekends
- Polygon Off-Topic Weekender: We broke 1K! (8-9 March)
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 5: The where I yet again break the rules
- WTB physical DS2 for PC in US
- PD Users: Defined at Last! (Humour)
- Cheap Shark for Games?