Multiplayer matches of Respawn Entertainment's Titanfall will be capped at 12 players, Respawn founder Vince Zampella confirmed via twitter, outlining that the six human players on each team will be joined by AI support.
"6v6 is max player count. Turned out to be the best balance with AI for us," he wrote, responding to a fan's question about the game's player count. "That's humans only count. There are lots of AI, everyone can have a Titan in follow or guard mode too."
Recent playable demos of the game featured six players a side but the final figure was not officially confirmed. The gameplay showcased during E3 consisted of seven players on a team, with producer Drew McCoy telling Polygon at the time that player count wasn't finalized.
"It's not a technical question for us — we've tested dozens and dozens of players — it's more of a creative and game design question," McCoy told Polygon during E3 2013. "So I think what we showed on Microsoft's stage was 7 on 7, but it really comes down to how many titans can be in play at once, how many AI, what the level is like, and what the mission is. It's something that we change on a weekly basis and playtest a lot. Our goal first and foremost is to make a fun game."
Zampella recently shared that Titanfall will not feature modding or mapping tools at launch; however, the availability of the features will be evaluated post-release. Earlier ths week, it was confirmed that shooter will include sniping minus the effectiveness of quickscoping and no-scoping techniques.
Titanfall hits Xbox One, Xbox 360 and Windows PC March 11. The game's Collector's Edition costs $249.99 and includes a 20-inch Titan statue.
- Polygon Daily Open Thread: Personable - Mon Sep 1
- Weekend at Polygon's: Open Thread - Aug 30-31
- Editorial idea for Polygon
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17.1 - Woady call me kōhai!
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Pokémon Discussions: Summer into Fall
- Reconsidering Columbine
- What Have You Been Reading? (September 2014)
- What is your Current Game of the Year?
- Post your Weekend at Polygon/Daily headers here (September 2014)